Residency change

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vns_will

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys. Can you change your residency status to get in-state tuition if you are claimed as a dependent in tax return of someone who's from that state?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Minnesota won't allow that.
Quote from their website:
Dependent students are those who are receiving 50 percent or more of their total support from parent(s) or legal guardian(s) and are claimed as tax dependents on their parents’ or guardians’ federal tax return. Dependent students acquire the resident status of their parents or guardians. In some cases parents may relinquish that relationship in favor of a “natural” guardian, such as a grandparent or sibling with whom the student may reside and receive benefits of room and board. If either the parents or designated guardians meet the Basic Definition of Resident Status, dependent students will similarly be classified as Minnesota residents.
admissions.tc.umn.edu/PDFs/ResidencyReciprocity.pdf

Quote from their website:
Dependent students are those who are receiving 50 percent or more of their total support from parent(s) or legal guardian(s) and are claimed as tax dependents on their parents’ or guardians’ federal tax return. Dependent students acquire the resident status of their parents or guardians. In some cases parents may relinquish that relationship in favor of a “natural” guardian, such as a grandparent or sibling with whom the student may reside and receive benefits of room and board. If either the parents or designated guardians meet the Basic Definition of Resident Status, dependent students will similarly be classified as Minnesota residents.
admissions.tc.umn.edu/PDFs/ResidencyReciprocity.pdf
You can't be claimed as a dependent if you are 24 or older. Also if you're parents are not Minnesota residents it takes I think 1 full year of work to become one. I also think that 50% of support would mean your parents or guardian would have to supply half of your tuition and half of room and board. Not sure but I don't know anyone that has managed to get in-state residency in Minnesota in my class.