Residency contract question

Started by Wednesday
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Wednesday

Senior Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
My friend matched into a residency program and was recently told that she wouldn't be signing a contract until she comes to orientation in mid-June. Is this standard?

Thanks!
 
I am under the impression that most programs have you sign the contract before you get there. I got mine in the mail a couple of days ago along with a host of other forms/paperwork to fill out.
 
Not sure if that's standard - I was mailed mine within days of the match and asked to have it back within a short period of time. I would suspect this to be the standard - after all, without a contract programs aren't really sure a candidate will show up come orientation time. I'd hate to be the PD two weeks before residency starts with some no-shows (it can still happen of course, but having a signed contract beforehand would make it less likely IMHO).