Residency contract review

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Homo sapien

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I am a resident in a Midwestern program and we just found out that our hospitals wants to cut our pay partially Because according to them they don’t have the money to pay us because of coronavirus. My question is, is that possible to do because we are under contract for the salary amount stipulated under our contract? If we were trying to get legal assistance, or even just a legal review, what type of attorney would we need to contact in order to do this. Are there any CPME guidelines for residency salary cuts or anything?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone. I am a resident in a Midwestern program and we just found out that our hospitals wants to cut our pay partially Because according to them they don’t have the money to pay us because of coronavirus. My question is, is that possible to do because we are under contract for the salary amount stipulated under our contract? If we were trying to get legal assistance, or even just a legal review, what type of attorney would we need to contact in order to do this. Are there any CPME guidelines for residency salary cuts or anything?

Contact APMA’s Director for Center for Professional Advocacy Chad Appel, JD at [email protected] or (301) 581-9234.

Reactions: 1 user
Fk them. Residents get paid essentially poverty line anyways. Stand up for yourselves, good luck.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
On one hand it may be prudent to look at the situation in a "at least they haven't shut down the program yet"
Resident salaries are paid by CMS. CMS give your hospital X amount per resident at the beginning of the academic year. This amount is about double what they pay you. So them not being able to pay you not only BS but could raise several compliance issues both with medicare and CMPE. Your director should be very aware of this

Reactions: 2 users
Beat me to the punch.

What's normally crap about this is that the hospital gets like 2 pots of money - a pot of money just to pay for stuff like salary and benefits and then another pot of money related to how many medicare patients the hospital takes and the number of residents. It is entirely possible the 2nd pot related to demographics is worth hundreds of thousands of dollars. My personal experience is that when residencies ask for things for their residents the hospitals never want to talk about this pot even though part of the CPME process concerning the residency is for there to be an accounting of these funds.

Theoretically, CPME requires podiatry residents to be paid the same salary as other residents within the system. Do you think anyone else is getting their pay cut?

Additionally, how much money could we possibly even be talking about that would make a difference. Let's take money from a person who makes ..$55K and has student loans and a very likely a family to pay ...what.

Resident salaries are paid by CMS.

this is the assumption which makes the rest of your post only partially correct.

Not every residency program receives 100% funding for each residency seat from the feds. The program I went to only got around $12,000 per resident (in all programs, including family med, psych, ortho, etc.). We did not have a huge Medicare population. The county basically made up the rest since they were our employer. I can guarantee you that there are other programs in podiatry where this is the case.

There are plenty of residency seats where your theory of the hospital getting $120k per resident in GME funds is incorrect.

This is interesting, im sorry to hear, that doesnt seem fair. I am on the other side of that coin, my hospital reassigned all podiatry residents along with other services to frontlines to help out with COVID. They are bumping our salary and giving a one time bonus. Not worth the money lol

This is interesting, im sorry to hear, that doesnt seem fair. I am on the other side of that coin, my hospital reassigned all podiatry residents along with other services to frontlines to help out with COVID. They are bumping our salary and giving a one time bonus. Not worth the money lol

How do you feel about this field now since 2016?

It'd be great if you can make a thread on your experiences (the good, the bad, and the worst or whatever you like).

Thanks and be safe!

were you allowed to say “no thanks” or was it mandatory?

At my hospital it is mandatory - and there is no bonus or hazard pay

our hospital rented out the 3rd floor to the hospital next door for overflow corona patients so we aren't getting our pay cut in half.

and we'll help them upstairs and doing supply runs and stuff. but there is no social distancing. it's still a mess