Residency Contract

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedicineMan99

Family Medicine Attending (DO)
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just received my contract for residency via FedEx. I'm just curious: what things should you look for in a residency contract? Even if you aren't satisfied with things in the contract (salary, time off, etc.) is there really any chance that it would be changed? Or is it basically a take-it-or-leave-it-and-get-in-trouble-for-leaving-it kind of thing?

Members don't see this ad.

Or is it basically a take-it-or-leave-it-and-get-in-trouble-for-leaving-it kind of thing?

Yup, that's why programs usually provide you with a copy of the contract in the packet of information you get on your interview day - that way you know what you're agreeing to before you're bound to it on match day.

I just received a last minute opportunity and contract. I was instructed to complete the signature page and send back. My question is do I need to request a change due to an MD designation after my name throughout contract (I'm a DO originally from the NE US)? This program is a huge allopathic research program and based on this last minute opportunity we have no time to make changes before the licensing deadline. Basically, I have to sign and return now and the delay could disrupt things. Everything else is accurate in the contract save the aforementioned designation. Is there a line or addendum I can simply add on the signature page (only page I need to return) that would be acceptable? Is it even an issue? The program doesn't discern and this substitution will be occurring regularly. Contractual advice appreciated!

Thanks

I just received a last minute opportunity and contract. I was instructed to complete the signature page and send back. My question is do I need to request a change due to an MD designation after my name throughout contract (I'm a DO originally from the NE US)? This program is a huge allopathic research program and based on this last minute opportunity we have no time to make changes before the licensing deadline. Basically, I have to sign and return now and the delay could disrupt things. Everything else is accurate in the contract save the aforementioned designation. Is there a line or addendum I can simply add on the signature page (only page I need to return) that would be acceptable? Is it even an issue? The program doesn't discern and this substitution will be occurring regularly. Contractual advice appreciated!

Thanks
Just cross out the letters MD, write in DO, and initial it in the margin.

I just received my contract for residency via FedEx. I'm just curious: what things should you look for in a residency contract? Even if you aren't satisfied with things in the contract (salary, time off, etc.) is there really any chance that it would be changed? Or is it basically a take-it-or-leave-it-and-get-in-trouble-for-leaving-it kind of thing?

Take it or leave it. That's why nobody bothers to get a lawyer for these.

Yup, that's why programs usually provide you with a copy of the contract in the packet of information you get on your interview day - that way you know what you're agreeing to before you're bound to it on match day.
The funny thing about that is that all the contracts I saw had the important things (salary, sick days, vacation, etc) left blank, making them absolutely useless.

You look for where to sign. Not signing is a match violation. You do not have leverage here.

The funny thing about that is that all the contracts I saw had the important things (salary, sick days, vacation, etc) left blank, making them absolutely useless.

That would technically be a violation then, but too late to bring that up now.

You theoretically should have discussed that with the program or the NRMP prior to entering the match.

Those things are blank because they haven't been decided on at that point. My institution usually announces the next year's salary in April which is why contracts don't generally go out until late April. Why they didn't just show you a sample of the current year's contract is beyond me but there's nothing sketchy going on there.

Those things are blank because they haven't been decided on at that point. My institution usually announces the next year's salary in April which is why contracts don't generally go out until late April.

The reason why the salary is blank is inflation. Since inflation is 3% on average, however, the projected salary I calculated for my intern year was within $30 of the actual new salary, which was recently reported to me.