Residency - exercise

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LIDO

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do the residents on this board find time for regular exercise? Some balance is extremely important, and curious to hear your experiences.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I rarely had time to excise during residency. But I also had a bunch of kids and no family near by to help out my wife.

Got in exercise half the time as it depended on the rotation I was on. GYN/ONC and Labor & Delivery days were definitely non-exercise months vs. the easier GYN, REI, UROGYN rotations.

Fellowship definitely was an improvement as exercise became a daily routine.

Members don't see this ad :)
So, most residents do not have time to exercise? One response noted that exercise was impossible during L/D and Gyn Onc months .... doesn't that make up a large portion of residency?

Is this residency a bad idea if a 45 minute workout 5x a week is very important to me? This might sound trivial, but personally it's mental sanity.

Not in residency yet, but i think its possible. There was one resident during my Sub-I who was on L&D nights. She would change to go to the gym after morning sign out. Many people rode their bikes in. I walked 15 mins each way. I think especially if you do workouts out home it will be possible. You don't have to factor in the time and transition to and from the gym.

MA - thank you for your input and experience during your rotation!

Any residents on the board care to comment about exercise routines / balancing it?

My fellow interns who do exercise on a regular basis seem to do so without too many problems because they make it a priority. The one exception to that is one of our night float rotations and sometimes Gyn/Onc. It is all about what is important to you and how motivated you are.

MA - thank you for your input and experience during your rotation!

Any residents on the board care to comment about exercise routines / balancing it?

Dude, don't let this be a deciding factor. If exercise is a priority for you then you will do it. I promise. And it won't affect your performance as a resident.

You might have to exercise early in the morning or in the evening. Probably won't have too many 4:00 in the afternoon runs. but it can easily be done.

For me, it just wasn't a priority. I know I need to change my slovenly ways.

It's definitely doable if you make exercise a priority. I ran competitively in college, so I set a goal of going for a run every day, if for no other reason than I don't want to embarrass myself when I get the chance to meet up with my former team mates. :) I confess I rarely meet that goal, but in general I still get out the door 5-6x week, though that fell to 3-5x week on Onc and L&D.