Residency & Fellowship FAQ Suggestions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Glycerin

Commercially Unavailable
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What would you like to see in a Residency & Fellowship FAQ? Leave your suggestions here! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Types of Residencies/Fellowships that can be applied for (check)
What type of Residencies/Fellowships are more popular? Why?
Which Residencies/Fellowships are in demand?
Salary? (check)

How hard is it to get into a residency and does everyone who applies get accepted into a residency?
Is there a maximum to how many you can apply to? (check)
Should you go to the ASHP midyear meeting your P4 year?

Members don't see this ad :)
Lots of CV samples
Besides grades, what makes a good appplicant
Different types of residencies (check)
A really good timeline of the application process

What is the difference between a residency and a fellowship? (check)
Which career paths require or highly desire residencies? fellowships?

DHG, you go to UNC and 35% of graduates last year went on the residency/fellowship training. Why don't you talk to the students ahead of you in your year. UNC has one of the best placement rates in that regard, and some people go to the pharmaceutical industry.

I am sure the professors there would be very knowledgeable.

Sorry! Off topic.

Now back on the topic,

What are the various pharmaceutical industry fellowships, and in what areas, clinical trials, drug information, pharmacoeconomics?

What does the pharmaceutical industry look for when choosing someone at the Midyear convention. School prestige? reputation? work experience? Where the rotations are performed at?

Thank you cdpiano, I certainly will. I was just making suggestions for the FAQ. :thumbup:

I'd like to see some programs highlighted by actual residents. I'd also like to know what they are doing post residency (i.e. are they in clinical positions, or are they @ walgreen's)

*bump?*

Hey, I posted elsewhere in the residency and fellowship forum but I found a good reference in AJHP regarding the residency interview process. I think it's very relevant. The authors sent out surveys and had about 100 programs respond. They detail stuff like what criteria most commonly led to an invitation to interview. Most popular: GPA and grades. Doh!! Very importantly, they breakdown most common interview questions as well.

Understanding and preparing for pharmacy practice residency interviews.

American Journal of Health-System Pharmacy. 61(16):1686-1689, August 15, 2004.
Mancuso, Carissa E.; Paloucek, Frank P.

If you are serious about pursuing a residency then I definitely encourage going to ASHP midyear. Try to be in the loop with the 4th year students as you will see what they are going through to get ready through the residency progress. If you have any say in scheduling your clerkships I strongly encourage you taking December off. Some schools automatically give you December off. My school, Univ. of Florida does not. You are going to need that time to write various letters of interest/intent.

You can apply to as many programs as you want but some residency directors frown upon applying to too many programs. I had a preceptor that interviewed at 12 programs but he was pretty darned smart and he ended up at Duke Medical Center in NC. My best guess is apply to at least 5 or 6.

Hope that helps,