Residency/Fellowship Student Loans

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

someonesomething

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
For people who are going into or completed post-grad opportunities like residency and fellowship, did you defer your student loans or do forbearance? I'm not sure which path to take (or how to do defering loans, since the website classifies med residencies for forbearance?), and I'm wondering about everyone's input?

Members don't see this ad.

For people who are going into or completed post-grad opportunities like residency and fellowship, did you defer your student loans or do forbearance? I'm not sure which path to take (or how to do defering loans, since the website classifies med residencies for forbearance?), and I'm wondering about everyone's input?
With repaye or ibr you should be able to start payments

Reactions: 1 user
Absolutely zero reason to defer and not do an income-driven-repayment plan. Your monthly payments will be based on your income the previous tax year, not as a post-grad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Should I contact my RPD to get proof of income to qualify for this repayment plan, since I haven't technically started the residency yet? Would you recommend loan consolidation?

Thank you!!

Should I contact my RPD to get proof of income to qualify for this repayment plan, since I haven't technically started the residency yet? Would you recommend loan consolidation?

Thank you!!

You should wait. Remember that your loan payments don't start for 6-ish months. When I went through it this year, you will essentially need to contact HR after you start and usually the repayment plan process will want pay stubs. When I applied relatively early (October-ish), my loan service told me to reapply closer to the date (a month out) when payments would start.

Thank you!!

Your monthly loan payments for an income driven plan are based on previous years tax filings.

Is your residency employer a non-profit 501(c)(3) organization, and do you plan to apply for loan forgiveness (PSLF)?