Residency in Italy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jellycheek

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I was wondering does anyone know if one completed the 4-year medical school training in America can apply for a residency program in Italy directly (besides the language proficiency stuffs). Also, how does the medical school system work in Europe in general? I heard that most medical schools in Europe have a 6-year curriculum. So when one is done with the 6-year, does he or she still need to do a residency or can one start practicing right after the 6-year program? Thanks a lot !!

Jelly

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Jellycheek, I know this thread is a bit old, but have you heard anything?

Hey guys I am an Italian student of medicine in Torino.. If you need info you can ask me..

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Alberto, thank you for your help! I am an American student taking a year of science classes before applying to medical school. I became interested in some international programs in Italy: Pavia, Humanitas in Milano, and San Raffaele. I'm trying to decide if I should go to medical school in the US and possibly do my residency in Italy, or if I should apply to an international Italian program and come back to the US for residency. Basically, I really want to study or have clinical experience in Italy at some point... do you have any advice for me? Is it tough to do residency in Italy if you are not fluent yet?

Sorry for this long reply, but thank you!

Hey guys I am an Italian student of medicine in Torino.. If you need info you can ask me..
hey i'm a dentist in india and was thinking of practicing dentistry in italy or somewhere else in europe so what is the procedure to get there if i've an indian degree [BDS: bachelor of dental surgery] waiting for your reply!!!!!!!!!!

hey i'm a dentist in india and was thinking of practicing dentistry in italy or somewhere else in europe so what is the procedure to get there if i've an indian degree [BDS: bachelor of dental surgery] waiting for your reply!!!!!!!!!!

Really IDK.. I think you have to discover if your graduation is recognized by the Italian state, if is you have to abilitate in Italy with a test that is in italian but is quite easy!

hey ya alberto, i was wondering if you could help me a bit with regard to medicine in italy. thing is, that I'm REALLY REALLY interested in the international medical school, by university of milan and humanitas.

but so far wherever i have read, which is quite a lot. people tend to say that its new hence crappy and on a trial bases only. u being there, can u please tell me anything about the program there and how it is. plus im also interested in the university of pavia medicine 6 year course in english but have read tht its even worse than the milan thingy. is it true?

lastly can you tell me something abt the lifestyle in milan and how is the place.

quick reply would be greatly appreciated,
kind regards,
haroon

Hey haroon, I am in the same situation as you! I am very interested in Pavia, and Humanitas now (San Raffele I would be too, if it weren't so expensive)! Have you found out any information? I just hear people say things like "oh they are new programs and are not very good" which I take with a grain of salt. I mean, I understand new programs have their faults, but no one has facts or any more information to back this up.

Please let me know if you find anything and I'll do the same!

I wrote an answer to a similar question here:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=756334

That said, if you ever plan on returning to the US, know that the Italian residency is not recognized. No foreign residency is recognized for that matter. If you're just looking to do a stint in Italy, you could train in the US then come to Europe and work at one of the international health centers that specialize in treating the English speaking population.

thanks tlew for the information! i am actually leaning more towards attending a medical program in italy, and then completing residency back home in America. But in case I attend school here, it's nice to know that I can go to Italy still to work at an international clinic... I'm also curious... are you a doctor in Milano?

Hi guys,

As a summary:
1) In US med system, the US- based graduates have much more chance than IMGs (the US MDs who had med education abroad) for residency. If you have your med education and graduate from a non-US school, you will criple your own chance to turn back home and every year this chance is getting more and more limited. But if you have your med education in US, and later go abroad, its always a strong background to keep a door open in US.

2) If you still consider to have med education in Europe, be aware that, always the English programs are more moderate than the native programs of the same schools.

3) Best med programs in English are known to be Jagiellonian/Poland, Charles 1st Faculty/Czezh Republic, Semmelweis/Hungary. They all have California Medical Board approval, but those programs in Italy, dont. Also the former programs are providing good scores in USMLE so that their students can apply for loan in US (this loan question is set every year depending on the success of the graduates of the schools, in USMLE). As for the programs in Italy, to my knowledge, their US students cant have loan. Also by the respect of rotations in US, the former ones are in a better situation (if the Italian programs didnt develop such contacts in US. But regarding that they are so new and limited in quality, it looks unlikely).

4) The former ones offer well-established programs. I dont know Pavia, but Humanitas is offering PBL (Problem Based Learning) method, with which you dont learn the theoreticals in a classical system; instead you have a case and over it you develop the relevant education. So its very much related with personal motivation. Personally this doesnt give me a safety feeling about the education quality. Also all of the profs. are in the native med program of Milan University, not in its English program, Humanitas. In Humanitas, there are only 80 PBL-oriented MDs.

The summary of my research about some of the med schools (mainly their English programs) is here: http://medical-schools.blogspot.com/

Milan University - English program (Humanitas) : www.mimed.it
Milan University - Native program : http://www.unimi.it/ENG/university/31941.htm

Personally Pavia didnt give me a good impression as well, but I base this comment only over its website quality, lack of automated telephone operator etc.. such details.

5) EU is getting in two, and the powerful countries are trying to get themselves out of this turmoil, by leaving the weaker ones outside. The leader, Germany, by taking France on its side, is leading this decision and they plan to be "The Core!" of EU. The weaker ones, which include Italy as well, will take place in perifery and their conditions/benefits etc. will be limited in future, which means less support of The Core (the "de facto EU"). As long as there is no support, I am afraid (this is my personal thought that), like everything, the education systems in the periferic countries as well will take their parts (San Raffaele could turn from the brink of bankruptcy by the support of first Vatikan and later eventually EU).

Last edited:
Hi,

I realize that this post is old, but I am trying to get some information about applying to medical school in Italy. I am a senior pre-med student and I am planning on taking a two years "off" between college and medical school. I am considering moving to Italy for a year (my boyfriend is Italian) and working in a lab/volunteering etc. I would take the MCAT the summer after I graduate just in case. My goal in this year would be to work and become fluent in the language. I took three years of Italian in college, so I would say my level is intermediate. Is it better to do an international program (Milan University- Humanitas) or try to perfect my Italian to enroll in the native program? Also, are there still pre-tests for the international programs? By going to medical school in Italy, my intention would be to live there and not return to the states. Am I at a disadvantage by getting my degree in Italy if I want to work privately or as a civilian doctor?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi I'm a 3rd Year medical student studying at the university of Joran,I wanted to ask if there are scholarships for specialty and residency at Italian universities and if the programs are in English or in Italian ,what do you think are the best fields for specialization in Italy ?
and btw I don't know if it may help or not I was born in Trieste ,
I have to live in Italy for about 2 years to get the passport
would it be easier for me to Join an Italian university or hospital rather than applying to a Deutsche Med school ?
Thank youu !

hey alberto i am an egyptian medical student going to the 5th year and i want to apply for the clinical pathology residency program in any italian university what are the requirements ??

Hi guys, i am a medical student in 5th year in Romania, we have almost the same MD program like other EU universities, I am a non EU citizen studying in English, i would like to pursue my specialization/residency in Italy or any other EU country like France, Spain, plz advise me on the procedure in order to apply for the specialization and any other useful information, thanks a lot!

Hi,
I am a 5th year medical student in Jordan university of science and technology and I wish to do residency in internal medicine or cardiology in Italy. so i want to know what are the things required from me to achieve.
thank you in advance

hi
i m a medical doctor in Iran graduated 2yrs ago,and i wish to do residency in O&G in Italy,Milan.i hope you can help me with it if u know the procedure or maybe you know some foreigners passed the steps.thanks

Hi im interesting in making the medical residency in Italy. I will be grateful if you help me with some info about requirements for foreign people

Thanks

what are the chances of getting a medical residency post for non eeu graduate in italy??? I am from Pakistan/

Salut!

Last edited:
What is the language of teaching in specialty schools in italy?

Hi,
I am a 5th year medical student in Jordan university of science and technology and I wish to do residency in internal medicine or cardiology in Italy. so i want to know what are the things required from me to achieve.
thank you in advance

hello ash08 i just wanna ask what have you done ?? did you start residency in italy
am lebanese but i studied medicine in syria and i graduate but i want to make my residnecy program in italy
what shall i do and what are the steps and thanks for helping