Residency in KC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iatrosB

trying not to kill anyone
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know the progress on starting the EM residency in Kansas City, KS? I thought it was supposed to be cranking for this years class, but I don't think it is.

Members don't see this ad.

Things aren't going as quickly/easily as the department had hoped. Initially they did want to be open for the c/o 2007, but that won't happen. They are still waiting to move into the new ED, which is a big part of the residency program proposal as the old one really isn't up to snuff. It's hard to get informaiton on the topic, but the latest rumors that I've heard are best case 2008, likely 2009. I've also heard that it's not a sure-fire thing that the program will even be established.

So... no one really knows. :( I graduate from KU in 2009 and am hoping they've got it up and running by then....

Thanks for the update. Hopefully they will have it by then! I've heard rumors that Research hospital is trying to get one too, I think they are going to make it a FM/EM residency. Not sure though, one of the EM docs there told me they were thinking about it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Things aren't going as quickly/easily as the department had hoped. Initially they did want to be open for the c/o 2007, but that won't happen. They are still waiting to move into the new ED, which is a big part of the residency program proposal as the old one really isn't up to snuff. It's hard to get informaiton on the topic, but the latest rumors that I've heard are best case 2008, likely 2009. I've also heard that it's not a sure-fire thing that the program will even be established.

So... no one really knows. :( I graduate from KU in 2009 and am hoping they've got it up and running by then....

Don't anyone hold your breath.

They've been "promising" to start a EM residency since at least the mid 90's. Some of my EM faculty that graduated their 15 years ago commonly say...."have they got an EM program yet?" I say "they're planning on it.".

They promptly laugh and say the've been telling people that for years. One community doc in a suburb around KUMC was hired there in the 90's to "get a program going" and he left in frustration.

I can still remember my 1st/2nd year of medical school at the EMIG meetings. The director saying that "WE WILL DEFINATELY have a program by the time I graduated."..

That was over 5 years ago!

Again........don't hold your breath.

Don't anyone hold your breath.

They've been "promising" to start a EM residency since at least the mid 90's. Some of my EM faculty that graduated their 15 years ago commonly say...."have they got an EM program yet?" I say "they're planning on it.".

They promptly laugh and say the've been telling people that for years. One community doc in a suburb around KUMC was hired there in the 90's to "get a program going" and he left in frustration.

I can still remember my 1st/2nd year of medical school at the EMIG meetings. The director saying that "WE WILL DEFINATELY have a program by the time I graduated."..

That was over 5 years ago!

Again........don't hold your breath.

I'm beginning to see that trend. The ER people really want to start a program, but I'm not sure they are getting a lot of support from the administration. I get the feeling that internal politics have quite a bit to do with this. I've heard that surgery/trauma are very opposed because KU doesn't get the bulk of KC trauma and they don't want to split the cases we do get with ED residents. But who knows how much of a factor that really plays. Last I heard there was an accreditation visit scheduled sometime this spring (2007)...

The new ED is going to be awesome and is opening soon. It would be great physical plant for the residency. I really hope they can makes something happen.