Why does 10mEq of KCl raise K by only 0.1meq/L

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ttac

Trust me, it's still fun.
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, so the rule of thumb I have heard for treating hypokalemia in a normal sized adult with normal renal function is that 10mEq of KCl either IV or PO should raise the K by 0.1.

Since K is reported in mEq/Liter and normal blood volume is 5 liters, why is it that 10mEq of KCl does not raise K by 2mEq, but rather by 0.1 mEq?

If you argue that the kidneys are doing their job and getting rid of 95% of the K, then is it true that if you bolused 10mEq instantly, you would raise your K by 2?

Or is it that most of the K is being transported into the cells and only 5% of it stays intravascular, thereby giving a rise of 0.1mEq/L per 10mEq given IV?

thanks,
ttac

Members don't see this ad.

I believe the volume of distribution and intracellular transport of the K+ is the answer to your question......

I believe the volume of distribution and intracellular transport of the K+ is the answer to your question......

Yup. It would also depend on the pH of the patient.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok... thanks.

ttac

you must be an md/phd...

The underlying theme is only someone with a PhD worries about these things.. whether it is true or false ill leave for discussion.

The vast majority of K+ goes into the intracellular space. This is the same concept as when one eats a banana, the majority of K+ doesn't stay in the vasculature. If it did, we would all die instantly from muscle tetany and cardiac arrest from every banana. What does stay in the extracellular space would then stimulate aldosterone secretion, causing the kidneys to remove most of it. This is how I understand it anyway :) .

Hey, what's that supposed to mean! :mad:

My bad... not trying to offend anyone. In fact, it's the md/phd's who contemplate all these things which results in new treatment techniques and advances in medicine. So, bravo to you guys....:thumbup:

My bad... not trying to offend anyone. In fact, it's the md/phd's who contemplate all these things which results in new treatment techniques and advances in medicine. So, bravo to you guys....:thumbup:

Well, then, that's better! :) (gee, I wonder if anyone is feeling insecure about being a minority...:rolleyes: )

BTW, everytime I see your posts, I wanna ride that helicopter!

Hopefully you applied to UofC....

BTW, everytime I see your posts, I wanna ride that helicopter!

Every time I see that picture, I think... "well, no, actully, You Can't".

Get it? U Can?

Sorry, slow day.

Take care,
Jeff