Residency in US after USMD (Canadian Citizen)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JosABank

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I got into a USMD school and I intend to go to it! I think it would be great to experience a different country. I have a few questions about visa requirements

1. Is it difficult to get the J-1 visa as a Canadian USMD grad? I know health canada issues a specific number of SON per year. Is there anything that I should know about the J-1 visa prior to getting into it?
2. How common is it to get an H-1B visa?
3. As a canadian USMD grad, would i match better than an IMG trying to match in the states?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

1. J1 visa does not differentiate between USMD, USDO, IMG. It's all about timing. Whoever hands in their J1 application first will get issued J1 visa. You should refer to Health Canada website for more details about J1 visa.

2. H1B visa are mostly offered by bigger hospitals with the resources to pay for the visa application which usually necessitates the hiring of a lawyer. As such, H1B is often sponsored only by the more competitive programs. As a USMD, given satisfactory USMLE performance, you should have no problem matching into one of these programs (however, competitiveness of individual specialty should also be considered).

3. Yes.

Reactions: 1 users