Residency Info

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Varmit22

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm interested in applying to U of Michigan, U of Wisconsin, U of Washington, Mayo (Minnesota), Maine Medical, Dartmouth, UNC, and U of Nebraska next year. Anyone have info and experience with these programs. Any pros/cons would be appreciated. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Of those, I only interviewed at Mayo-Rochester. I loved the program. The administration, the PD and the other attendings, all seemed so incredibly supportive (and this was echoed by each and every resident at dinner), enthusiastic, down to earth. The general environment appeared collegial, and friendly, yet with high expectations and teaching that matched that. The hospital(s) were simply A-MAZING. The resources cant be beat. The anesthesiology research A-MAZING. I got to meet the director of anes research--great guy btw. If I wasn't single, and if the location weren't so far away from my family, it would have been at or near the tip top of my list. Location was the only downside for me. However, I am going to be seriously considering Mayo for fellowship.

Varmit22 said:
I'm interested in applying to U of Michigan, U of Wisconsin, U of Washington, Mayo (Minnesota), Maine Medical, Dartmouth, UNC, and U of Nebraska next year. Anyone have info and experience with these programs. Any pros/cons would be appreciated. Thanks.

I interviewed at Nebraska, great PD (Tinker), very nice small program. Research is non-existent. Residents seemed generally happy. Liver transplants seemed to be their biggest claim to fame. Chris Ledoux had his liver transplant done there. Jet, you should have heard of him, he sings the song Copenhagen.

I start orientation at UW tomorrow (6/30). So, I'm a little biased on that one. Bigger program (20 per class). Lots of opportunity in many areas, rotate through lots of hospitals (UW Medical Center, Harborview, Puget Sound VA, Children's, and a few people at Northwest Hospital for CT, a few to Evergreen for part of their OB, and a few to Virginia Mason for a fourth year elective). I'll tell you more as I get started.

Varmit22 said:

That makes two who would like to hear from anyone in the above programs (esp U Mich, UW-Madison and Mayo).