residency interview during residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

magician

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
residency interview takes a lot of time. how do you handle both interview and residency duties? how are you going to tell the program?

does anyone have any experience? any advice is greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

i dont know what people do

how did you get letters of rec without asking people in your current program?

it seems that the people interviewing you may ask about your current program, what you told them and your plans etc... some programs may even call your current program director

dont you think?

I would conduct this process with a lot of transparency as opposed to opacity. That is, don't sneak around. Be open and honest. Your current program is not for you (for whatever reason). You want to transfer. You are going to need their help and if you don't tell them until the last minute they are going to be even more annoyed. Programs don't want unhappy residents around, and they will probably help you out if they are convinced that you really do need to transfer. But sneaking around implies you are afraid to tell them for some reason.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am not a resident, but I have heard a lot about transfering...

It's difficult to leave without problems, specially considering that small programs are those which care most about missing resident (they know they won't find someone to replace easily)

However, you have to try hard to leave a good impression when transfering because:

* PDs change places a lot.. the PD who knows you maybe somewhere else you are applying for (job or fellow)

*Who knows about the future... you might want to apply there for a job

* They could help recommending you

* They will know it eventually and it will be worse then. The program you match may get it too and many of them have policy about receiving transfered residents (you must provide a LOR from your former PD), then how is it gonna be?

This is what people told me...
Hope you find the best way to go through it.. Good luck! :oops: