Jillofalltrades

2+ Year Member
Oct 2, 2016
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
How do PDs and programs decide how to rank applicants after interviews? I've always heard that pathology interviews are more relaxed than in other specialities, and the few that I've had fully support that sentiment. On the other hand, I feel that the questions have been very general - why this program, why path, goals in 5 or 10 years, etc. - and I don't know how programs can really differentiate applicants from one another with just those interview questions. I'd really appreciate any insight into the process on the program's end.

Do PDs/APDs go back, weigh the applications and go off of metrics to rank if the interviews are neutral (didn't help or hurt the applicant)? How does an applicant stand out in the interview if they're only asked the general questions or worse, get the "what questions do you have for me/us/the program?" for the whole interview? Thank you!

KeratinPearls

10+ Year Member
Apr 3, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Fellow [Any Field]
Likeability based on the application and the interview. If you have a good application plus you have some pathology experience or background and you are likeable, faculty wet their pants and talk to each other how much they like this person or that person.

People connect with people that are like themselves.

Sincere interest in Pathology is a must.

Faculty can sniff someone who’s bsing from miles away. They’ve interviewed thousands of candidates.

Basically, if you have no major red flags and you come across as personable and likeable you stand a better chance than those that don’t have a personality, are weird or have a bad application. You don’t have to have a great application for Pathology (unless you are applying to top tier) but you can’t have major red flags.

My recommendation is to just be yourself. Don’t try to be someone you aren’t and just let the chips fall where they may. If you have a sincere interest in Pathology and you don’t have major red flags you’ll get in somewhere. Best of luck.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

TGF beta1

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 14, 2012
Upper Midwest
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
In our program each interviewer evaluates applicant based on the educational background, interest in pathology, communication skills and as mentioned above - fit to the program (which generally includes likability :) ). Based on this immediately after interview candidate is assigned to the group - top tier, rank high, rank, rank low, don't rank. Later on PD and APDs meet and compare the notes and and resolve the final placement on rank list. Interviews are important, they probably responsible for 30-40% of your position on the ranking list. there are many applicants who look good on paper, but no so good during interview and vise versa. So if there will be any doubt where to place an applicant, interview impressions are often deciding factor.
Ask questions, be enthusiastic, research the program and show your personality. All of these will get you where you want to be.

About the Ads

fecalith

Trini tuh de bone 🇹🇹
2+ Year Member
Aug 26, 2018
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
As a resident myself, writing evaluations for my programs applicants' after our Q & A session:
I don't give good evaluations to vegans that boast of their cooking skills....
Also, it is a big negative for me, applicants who have done pathology residency in their home country. Why aren't you established in your country? Why do you want to come here??? No resident wants to work with experts masquerading as PGY1s.
Applicants with 5 years of internal medicine observerships at various (questionable) hospitals and community clinics in NYC, Chicago or Detroit (maybe Miami sometimes), research in interventional cardiology and applying to pathology are my pet peeve.
And please, if you graduated in 1999 and now applying for residency .. there must be something wrong with you! why aren't you established in something, somewhere by now?????

KeratinPearls

10+ Year Member
Apr 3, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Fellow [Any Field]
As a resident myself, writing evaluations for my programs applicants' after our Q & A session:
I don't give good evaluations to vegans that boast of their cooking skills....
Also, it is a big negative for me, applicants who have done pathology residency in their home country. Why aren't you established in your country? Why do you want to come here??? No resident wants to work with experts masquerading as PGY1s.
Applicants with 5 years of internal medicine observerships at various (questionable) hospitals and community clinics in NYC, Chicago or Detroit (maybe Miami sometimes), research in interventional cardiology and applying to pathology are my pet peeve.
And please, if you graduated in 1999 and now applying for residency .. there must be something wrong with you! why aren't you established in something, somewhere by now?????

People are looking for positions in the US. That’s why you have people applying after graduating 20 years to Path because it’s a “non or lesser competitive field”. Internal medicine research? I bet you that person is applying to IM and using Path as a backup.

Why do people want to come to the US after graduating Path in their countries? It’s America! I mean who would turn down a chance to make at least 250k+??? Just pass your boards and apply. I’ve met a few pathologists who were trained as Pathologists in their own country. Pay in other countries is crap and you get to live in the US! US is considered a much better life with more opportunities than their own countries, especially for their KIDS.

Why do programs like people who trained in their own countries? Why not? You get an experienced pathologist who you don’t have to train and can gross for the program. Basically cheap and experienced labor. We had a resident who was a foreign trained Path. She thought she was better than everyone and it showed.

Last edited:
About the Ads

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.