Residency Lecture/Conference Time

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

streetdoc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi folks,
I'm looking for some info on how other programs handle conference. I'm sure there is quite a range of set ups, and I think my program could use a revamp in the future. Right now it is mandatory unless you are in the ICU/away rotation/vacation; and, yes, roll is taken 15 mins into lecture. If you miss, you read and write a report on articles.

This is relatively new after an RRC citation for low attendance. It seems a bit like overkill so I'd like to hear what others are doing. Maybe there is someone out there that can explain how other programs can meet the RRC requirement without having it mandatory.

Thanks for any input,
streetdoc

Members don't see this ad.

We have to make it to 80% of conferences over the span of a year. We have a thumb-print sign-in and must be in conference before it starts. We have five hours of conference one day/week (except July, holidays, ACEP). Pretty much people go to conference unless they are off-service (some off-service will let you go). You can leave early if you just worked the night shift. We don't really have a problem with attendance. Our penalty (rarely enforced) is an extra shift in the ED

we've got to make 80% of our conferences too. we're excused from all off-service rotations to go - ICU/CCU work-rounds on the EM resident's patients first and then you bounce. after an overnight, you need to stay until 10am. we've got attendance sheets. and yes, we too have the penalty of an extra shift if we miss too many. only seniors on elective time get a pass for conference.

we don't usually have a problem with attendance (except during august when everyone's at the beach) and it's gotten substantially better since we set up an audience-response system. ecg conference is the new favorite since we make teams. the seniors and second years get a kick out of battling it out. most of our attendings show up at conference too which makes it loads better than just a bunch of residents.