Residency length

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Peeshee

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
does anyone know what the shortest residency program is in terms of number of years? For which programs do you not have to complete an internship year before residency?
thanks

Members don't see this ad.

The shortestt residency programs that allow you to be board eligible in some specialty are 3 yrs (medicine, peds, FP, ER). Many states allow physicians to practice only after one year of post-graduate residency training though, but you won't be able to do anything besides set up a primary care clinic and you will be screwed if you get sued. By definition, your first year of post-graduate training is called your internship year, so no, I don't believe that it's possible to skip your internship year and just do a residency.

Some pathology programs have done away with internship, however they didn't shorten the total duration. I don't know if you can get a medical license if you do one of these programs.

Ed

Keep in mind 4-5 years of something you like is more tolerable than 3 years of misery and hating your job.

That's true.
I was just curious about this, that's all.
thanks