ccmd2b

10+ Year Member
Oct 30, 2005
Alabama
Status
Attending Physician
Does anyone know if a decent residency loan to help out with expenses during training? One that can be deferred till after graduation?

Thanks in advance.

dotdash

10+ Year Member
Aug 28, 2008
Status
Non-Student
I don't know about "decent", but we just got a marketing piece from SunTrust, offering $45,000 for living expenses during residency. You might try them, as they seem to have a special product, but that's not saying you wouldn't do better just walking into your neighborhood bank....

slowlybutshelly

ms4
7+ Year Member
Nov 14, 2009
out of my backpack
Status
Medical Student
I have maxed out all my federal loans for educational purposes and also took out a private loan with Sallie Mae. I have no money for residency interviews so I will be in the area I am in now. I see this thread about people getting more money for residency training and more deferments; is that possible? I cannot imagine taking out more loans than I already have; or even that a residency program would offer that as an option for me. Just curious...

McGillGrad

Building Mind and Body
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 21, 2002
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I have maxed out all my federal loans for educational purposes and also took out a private loan with Sallie Mae. I have no money for residency interviews so I will be in the area I am in now. I see this thread about people getting more money for residency training and more deferments; is that possible? I cannot imagine taking out more loans than I already have; or even that a residency program would offer that as an option for me. Just curious...
Speaking for Canada, banks instantly offer you a 50,000$ line of credit once you secure residency. I would imagine it would be the same in the US since Canada has stricter banking regulations....i.e. you basically have to currently have 60% of the money you're trying to borrow....lol