Residency / Med School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ipodluva

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey All,
I have somewhat of an unusual question. So I currently hold offers from 1 very well known, top MSTP program, awaiting a bunch of others. I also interviewed at a smal, but decentl non-MSTP program and they absolutely loved me. While I am waiting for a few more decisions, I know that I would not go for the smaller program. Nevertheless, I do feel the need to establish a safety net, in case something, God knows what happens and my MSTP spot falls through. Yes I can be OCD thinking that somehow this could fall through. So - my question is the following:

Were I to accept the offer from the small non-MSTP and end up matriculating at one of the top MSTP programs, when I go to do a residency, will the residency interviewers be able to see where I applied, got in, accepted offers and withdrew? Or will residency interviewers only know my institution where I matriculated, my MCAT score, my USMLE score etc.etc.etc.

Right now, I feel like rejecting the offer from the smaller non-MSTP because of potential residency impact. So when I get to the interview, I don't want to get the question: "wow, so you went to an amazing MSTP. How come you accepted the offer from this top 40 non-MSTP school? Isn't that a bit strange". I've gotten this in some of my interviews when they asked me where else was I applying.

Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelp anyone...

Members don't see this ad.

First off congratulations. The program that accepted you wont reject you all of a sudden - unless you do something REALLY stupid: commit a felony, start a war, get kicked out of school, you get the idea. That being said, if you wanted to hold on to the second acceptance, even though you know you wont go, that's your business. However, you're taking a spot in a program that someone else likely wants - meaning someone else is out there agonizing over this program just like you are over some of the ones that you are waiting for. So if I were you, I'd drop the non-MSTP school.

Finally, relax, and no one will care where you got into school however many years down the line - they will care where you went to school. Anyway, congratulations again.

The first time I read the OP's question I totally missed the problem. I didn't understand why you would hold on to an acceptance as a "saftey net" when you were already accepted to an MSTP that you want to go to. Just like Mitro said, don't worry about losing the MSTP spot...unless there's something you aren't telling us ;)

And I also agree that no one will care what other MD/PhD programs you were considering when residency time comes.

tedrik said:
The first time I read the OP's question I totally missed the problem. I didn't understand why you would hold on to an acceptance as a "saftey net" when you were already accepted to an MSTP that you want to go to. Just like Mitro said, don't worry about losing the MSTP spot...unless there's something you aren't telling us ;)

And I also agree that no one will care what other MD/PhD programs you were considering when residency time comes.

No - I'm not hiding anything. I just don't want to get the whole BS when I go through residency interviews. Something like: "So you went to X - how nice! But you also took an offer from Y, which is quite surprising. Why would such a nice, bright fellow like you who went to a top MSTP take this non-MSTP offer from a small school? Isn't that a bit surprising?"

I'm saying this because I even got some of this in my interviews - some interviewers asked where else was I considering and blah blah blah they made that remark about the non-MSTP program.

Oh well.

I decided to withdraw...someone else who probably is dying to go there will get a chance.