Residency Options in Boston for DO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CJhooper123

PGY ortho
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Currently applying MD/DO and am not very familiar w/ competitiveness of residency programs.

What is the likelihood of a DO graduate earning a residency spot in Boston, MA. After viewing residency programs at various Boston hospitals, I noticed that there are very few DO's - is this due to Boston being super competitive or the fact that MD's significantly outnumber DO's?

I am a lifelong MA resident who is interested in IM, FM, EM, and Gen Surgery. Obviously, I should focus on earning a medical school acceptance first, but I am just curious.

Cheers

Members don't see this ad.

From my understanding, Boston is a very MD city. Your best bet would be to apply for the other programs around the state that's not in Boston per se.

Reactions: 4 users
Many of the residency programs hold a MD>DO mentality in Boston. Regardless of how people feel about it, that is the reality. However, there are opportunities and chances to land a residency in Boston as a DO. Best options within the city are St. E's (Gen Surg/IM) and Tufts (IM/FM) as they both have taken DOs for residents (St E's > Tufts). The Partner affiliate hospitals (aka MGH/BI/BWH) are a hard no. Maybe in 10, 15, 20... years, but for now they are off limits DOs for residency (sure you can apply, but no chance your application is looked at after seeing you are at an osteopathic school). Post residency is a different story however, there are a number of DOs working at these hospitals.

Outside of Boston they are "DO friendlier" (i.e. DOs on house staff) residencies: Lahey Clinic (Gen Surg/IM) in Burlington as well as UMass (IM/EM) in Worcester. Pittsfield Hospital is a former AOA Gen Surg and IM program with initial ACGME accreditation, they are the best bet for a DO.

As a MA resident focus on getting into UMass (or Tufts/BU). An MD will go a long way in keeping doors open to you. Get into school first, then the boards, and then think more about residency.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
BU has taken a number of DO’s into their IM program recently. MGH has matched a small number of DO’s into Anesthesia. I’m sure there are others, but those are the ones I’m aware of personally.

It’s a popular city, which means it’s competitive. But DO’s do match to Boston programs (albeit in small numbers) regularly.

Reactions: 1 user
BU has taken a number of DO’s into their IM program recently. MGH has matched a small number of DO’s into Anesthesia. I’m sure there are others, but those are the ones I’m aware of personally.

It’s a popular city, which means it’s competitive. But DO’s do match to Boston programs (albeit in small numbers) regularly.

Forgot about BU... whoops! Also was not aware MGH had taken any DOs. TIL, thanks for the insight!

It depends entirely on specialty. IM is going to be competitive, expect needing to be a very very strong candidate to have a shot. FM probably is going to be easier.

At least for my interests psych has pretty good opportunities for DOs. But ofc very little to no representation in the upper crust i.e Harvard.

#1 Get into Med school. First priority. Too early to think about residency
#2 Work as hard as you can, then work harder. You determine what kind of residency candidate you will be. Not the school or your instructors.
#3 Although, some residency programs are provincial with respect to D.O.'s, M.D.'s are rather altruistic, meaning if you have the goods to be a competitive applicant, Board scores appropriate to that specialty,(available from each program as to avg scores for their PG1's) high class rank, research, and all the other aspects required, you have a shot. Never give up on a dream. Remember, if you aren't getting what you want, you are not working hard enough. This philosophy has served me well over many years.

Reactions: 2 users
My DO friend is in a psychiatry residency program in Boston area VA system affiliated with Harvard. There are several DOs in their program. I know you didn't mention interest in psych, but still.

Reactions: 1 users

To be fair that number is 2, in a 150 resident program. It's great to see that they're taking DO's at all now though, I didn't think it'd happen anytime soon.

To be fair that number is 2, in a 150 resident program. It's great to see that they're taking DO's at all now though, I didn't think it'd happen anytime soon.

Sure, the number is small; but it’s not zero now. Which means interested DO applicants should apply.