Residency pay

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Is that $1000 yearly or just once? We get a good amount of $$ for meals, probably 700-800 a year.

Members don't see this ad.

yaah said:
Is that $1000 yearly or just once? We get a good amount of $$ for meals, probably 700-800 a year.

only x 1...
but i just thought the "cell phone usage" deal was pretty funny. Nevertheless, i'm happy!

scott said:
Just for the sake of continuing a residency salary theme for this thread, I have looked up the figures for Stanford and UCSF. Stanford pays around $43,000 plus $8,400 housing bonus, while UCSF pays around $43,000 plus about $4,000. No question, though, they are in expensive places.
Can't speak for the current Stanford info, but it's my understanding that UCSF path PGY1 pays $39K, with an extra $10K for housing (mostly from the path department and some from the university). There is also a one-time $2000 moving stipend that is added into the first paycheck.

I'm looking for places to live now and it seems do-able.

Members don't see this ad :)
cytoborg said:
Can't speak for the current Stanford info, but it's my understanding that UCSF path PGY1 pays $39K, with an extra $10K for housing (mostly from the path department and some from the university). There is also a one-time $2000 moving stipend that is added into the first paycheck.

I'm looking for places to live now and it seems do-able.
how is the rental market in SF? hopefully you don't have to fly out there too often just to secure a place.

deschutes said:
Andy, you have a place now?? Congratulations I missed that news!

I get $41,700 next year. How do I figure out how much taxes are going to be?
It's all good. Indeed I bought a 2-br/1bath condo for $348K with $100K down. Everything is moving so quickly since the closing meeting is in May (1 month early) instead of June. The whole process can be a hassle at times since it requires coordinating and synchronizing the efforts of many people (seller, seller's agent, seller's attorney, your attorney, your agent, mortgage loan folks, and others whom I can't think of at this moment).

There's a link at the top of the page that PathProspect posted which calculates how much taxes will be taken out from your monthly paycheck.

http://www.paycheckcity.com/netpaycalc/netpaycalculator.asp

AndyMilonakis said:
The whole process can be a hassle at times since it requires coordinating and synchronizing the efforts of many people (seller, seller's agent, seller's attorney, your attorney, your agent, mortgage loan folks, and others whom I can't think of at this moment).
Parents? :)
AndyMilonakis said:
There's a link at the top of the page that PathProspect posted which calculates how much taxes will be taken out from your monthly paycheck.

http://www.paycheckcity.com/netpaycalc/netpaycalculator.asp
Thanks. I would guesstimate it to be about a third... we'll see if I'm right.

deschutes said:
I was talking about the third-parties excluding the buyer (which consists of me and my parents).
deschutes said:
Thanks. I would guesstimate it to be about a third... we'll see if I'm right.
A third may be a bit too much. I don't even lose a third :laugh: and I'll be in Taxachusetts.

I put in the annual gross pay and ignored everything else since I didn't know what the heck they meant...

Your Pay Check Results

Annual Gross Pay $41,700.00

Federal Withholding $6,520.00
Social Security $2,585.40
Medicare $604.65
Minnesota $2,474.83

Net Pay $29,515.12

I take home 70% of gross.

(I see that it's the same ratio for Massachusetts.)

you actually should get more than that. did you enter "1" next to # of federal allowances? for you, this number will be at least "1". The number goes up depending on other factors such as dependents.

you take home $30315.

AndyMilonakis said:
you actually should get more than that. did you enter "1" next to # of federal allowances? for you, this number will be at least "1". The number goes up depending on other factors such as dependents.

you take home $30315.
Really? Thanks. :) I can tell this move is going to be quite the gongshow.