Residency program vs where you want to practise

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

traxxradiorocks

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am just wondering about this as a Canadian currently enrolled in a US allopathic school in the West Coast.

Reason I am asking is that my neighbor is a resident of an unrelated specialty. We were having beer yesterday afternoon on his front porch and he told me that it is best to do residency in a city I plan to practise, especially since I'm a Canadian. Problem is, the residency programs in those city are not the most ideal programs for my interest.

What do you guys think? I am a bit worried because a lot of job hunting posts claim that they prefer not to have anyone with a H1 or J1 visa so I think the "local connection" might be quite important for an international student?