Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey. I have been on SDN for a long time and participating in the Ob/Gyn forum since I was a pre-med. I've never actually started a thread in this particular board, though, as I was early in my training and felt silly doing so. Now I'm finally more than halfway through MS-3 and residency application time will be here before I know it. Even as a pre-med I was extremely interested in Ob/Gyn and while I don't start the clerkship for another week (I scheduled it later in the year thinking I would have a better idea of what I was doing and the interns would have mellowed out and let me do more), nothing has stolen my heart. So far, gen surg and family med have been my two favorites, in that order, and I think I'll be confirming my choice of Ob/Gyn next month. Thinking ahead I want to start creating a list of residency programs of particular interest to me.
I know that some programs have a particularly strong nurse-midwife presence, and/or have nurse-midwives actively participate in residency training on L&D for SVDs. This is extremely important to me for personal reasons regarding the births of my two children (details below if anyone cares) but it's difficult to find these programs without scouring every program's website as it doesn't come up in FREIDA, other directories, etc.
The only ones I know/have heard of are as follows:
Brown Women & Infants - From what I've read this seems like my dream program
Baystate in Springfield, MA
UTSW - Possibly?
OHSU - Again possibly?
I'm sure there are more but I'm having trouble finding them. I know there are plenty of places that have midwives on staff but the amount of involvement they have with the residents, especially as instructors, is very unclear.
So, do you know of any other programs with a strong CNM presence or programs that have nurse-midwives participate in training residents in labor and delivery? Even if it just points me in the right direction I can dig further, and I very much appreciate it. Thanks!
** I had a pretty upsetting experience giving birth to my daughter (2 1/2 years before matriculation). I'm sure the details can be gleaned from various posts I've made on SDN through the years. I was very disappointed in the way I was treated and the care I received (to be fair, from the nursing staff as well as the medical staff) to the point that I actually postponed my original plans to apply to medical school for a year, thinking that perhaps I would rather be a CNM instead. Ultimately, I wound up sticking with my original plan of medical school, which I am thankful for as I really do enjoy the OR and I would have lost that as a CNM. Nevertheless, I switched care to a CNM when I was pregnant with my son, and my experience having him (via VBAC) was wildly different and extremely positive. Looking back I'm now appreciative of having two very different experiences and the perspective it'll give me as a physician, but I'd still very much like instruction from midwives regarding managing uncomplicated L&D patients.
I know that some programs have a particularly strong nurse-midwife presence, and/or have nurse-midwives actively participate in residency training on L&D for SVDs. This is extremely important to me for personal reasons regarding the births of my two children (details below if anyone cares) but it's difficult to find these programs without scouring every program's website as it doesn't come up in FREIDA, other directories, etc.
The only ones I know/have heard of are as follows:
Brown Women & Infants - From what I've read this seems like my dream program
Baystate in Springfield, MA
UTSW - Possibly?
OHSU - Again possibly?
I'm sure there are more but I'm having trouble finding them. I know there are plenty of places that have midwives on staff but the amount of involvement they have with the residents, especially as instructors, is very unclear.
So, do you know of any other programs with a strong CNM presence or programs that have nurse-midwives participate in training residents in labor and delivery? Even if it just points me in the right direction I can dig further, and I very much appreciate it. Thanks!
** I had a pretty upsetting experience giving birth to my daughter (2 1/2 years before matriculation). I'm sure the details can be gleaned from various posts I've made on SDN through the years. I was very disappointed in the way I was treated and the care I received (to be fair, from the nursing staff as well as the medical staff) to the point that I actually postponed my original plans to apply to medical school for a year, thinking that perhaps I would rather be a CNM instead. Ultimately, I wound up sticking with my original plan of medical school, which I am thankful for as I really do enjoy the OR and I would have lost that as a CNM. Nevertheless, I switched care to a CNM when I was pregnant with my son, and my experience having him (via VBAC) was wildly different and extremely positive. Looking back I'm now appreciative of having two very different experiences and the perspective it'll give me as a physician, but I'd still very much like instruction from midwives regarding managing uncomplicated L&D patients.