residency programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

arjones100

PathGeek
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a rising MS 4 interested in pathology. Does anyone out there know which programs are particularly strong? I appreciate any help. Thanks :)

Members don't see this ad.

We have posted a lot previously on this forum about "what are the best programs" which have actually been pleasant conversations. It hasn't turned into the mud slinging and "how much can you bench" way that people often discuss which med schools are "better."

This is a subjective question. THere are lots of good programs out there. A lot of it depends on what you want out of residency. Certain places like Brigham, Penn, Wash U, U Wash, UCSF, Chicago, Duke, Johns Hopkins are quite well known for having a high research emphasis and I guess are the "most competitive". Other programs have their strengths in diagnostics like the MGH. Some are geared towards training community/private practice pathologists (South Carolina, Missouri are examples of good programs here). Some programs like Utah, Iowa, Michigan, UVA, Vermont are excellent all around programs which can prepare you for almost any career you want. There are other programs like Mayo which are very different and have a unique way of doing things. It's all in what you are looking for. There are programs that have CP only positions in residency (MGH, Brigham, Wash U do this, among others) but generally these are hard core research folks who don't plan at all on private practice. Don't make the mistake of assuming that just because a program is "research heavy" you cannot get well trained in diagnostics, and as well don't think that if you want to make a career of research and academics you need to go to Brigham. You need to find a program that will give you good training and prepare you for your future career. Location is important to many people also, as are the staff that work there. I ended up with my rank list (I posted in on another thread) because of many factors including location, educational and research opportunities, technology, size of program, staff and residents I met.

I encourage anyone with an interest in our field to look through the archives of old posts. If you have some time, it can be quite interesting. There are some repeated themes but often lots of interesting info. You just have to tinker with the options at the bottom of the screen to display threads older than a couple of months.

try these threads, if you want to see some examples:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=102108
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=100236

Reactions: 1 users