Residency Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jhIII

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is the best website or resource to compare the different residency programs in anesthesia? I am a student looking to apply and am deciding on what programs to apply to. Thanks for the guidance.

Members don't see this ad.

What is the best website or resource to compare the different residency programs in anesthesia? I am a student looking to apply and am deciding on what programs to apply to. Thanks for the guidance.

FREIDA, scutwork, here.

If you are around the OR you may want to talk to some CA1s. They aren't that far out of the process and many will have good info on different programs.

Members don't see this ad :)
This one is tough b/c there's no centralized service / system to guide you. A few things: 1) think about location as this is critical. 2) There's no need to goto a "top tier" training program because a) no one agrees on which programs are top-tier and b) no one really cares unless your intention is to get hired as a faculty member at a "top tier" institution. Even if this is your goal, I'm learning that where you trained is less important than how you did there (this is largely judged by the relationships you form during your residency) 3) Apply broadly to programs where you can imagine yourself living (almost like a shotgun approach -- pay the extra money to ERAS if need be to make sure you cast a wide enough net. It's a small investment for 3/4 years of your life) and accept / decline interviews as they are offered to you. That way you can research the programs that want to interview you in more detail. I think location is really key and chances are there is at least one (and probably several) outstanding program in the area you desire. You'll become much more confident in your ability to discern which programs are "strong" and which one are "weak" after you have the opportunity to interview at several different ones.

Any specific institutions you are wondering about?

Thanks gasguy, that was a helpful post. When you said you researched some programs before going to their interview, what did you use besides the basic scutwork/SDN forums? most dept anesthesia websites are either not functioning or are useless, so that basically leaves minimal info to gather before interview day. what are/were some important criteria to you to learn about before you intereviewed at these places? I know this maybe an individualized question, but i only have a superficial knowledge of programs, mainly because I don't know what I should be looking at to evaluate whether a program is good or not. do you know anything about the cali programs? i'm also interested in philly..temple, Jefferson, drexel...mid tier stuff.
thanks again.