residency programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
B

baylor21

To anyone who can respond:

I always thought that getting into med school would be the toughest challenge as far as becoming a doctor, but now I realize that is wrong. Getting into a residency program, ANY
residency program seems to be much tougher than just getting admitted to med school.

I'm still a premed and just browsed around looking at different residency programs. Every single one of them has literally hundreds and hundreds of applicants and offers maybe 6 spots at the most. My question is, how is it that the majority of med school grads get into residencies with competition so high? It seems to me that the number of available residency spots is far below the number of med school grads that apply to them every year. Even in the less competitive areas, like rural areas have an extraordinary number of applicants every year.

So, is this misleading or is getting into a residency program really that competitive? I've looked at dozens of programs in differenct specialties in different areas of the country, and the LEAST competitive one had around 250 applicants for 3 spots every year.

It just seems to me that only 10% of all med school grads would be accepted to a residency program if its as competitive as the numbers say. Please tell me it aint so!

Members don't see this ad.

Well kiddo, if you think residency a competitive process.. wait until you finish your residency and look for jobs! There are usually one or two positions open with hundreds of qualify doctors wanting the same thing! (especially all the ones with heavy, unpaid six-figure necklaces around their neck) Maybe you should quit while you are so far ahead from many of us.

LotusEsprit,

That was one of the most useless posts I have ever seen on this site. If you don't have any thing more to say than that, please go to the TPR site where the immature take pleasure in putting down each other instead of exchanging useful information.

Phillip Snider, MS, RD

Members don't see this ad :)
It's the same deal as when you applied to med school. They only accept a small percentage out of the total pool. However, since you apply to a bunch of them, your chances greatly increases. If it's any comfort to you, >95% (or something like that) of US medical graduates will obtain a residency. However, it's getting what you want that's a little bit more tricky. Anyway, more than 50% will get one of their top 3 choices.

to Baylor 21:

What site did you do your browsing on? Could you share that with us? Thanks.....

brie
you have to remember that one medical student apply for number of places and that is why you see the applicants for residency too high for one place. it is not that 250 are just waiting to get in. if you go to any related web site you will find the similar information as desribe by aforementioned post.my friend has applied to 7 residency placement. she is only going to take one. my 2 pennies!!!

Sandy makes a good point -- you should really look at how many total applicants there are realative to the total number of residency positions -- with this perspective you will realize that there are indeed more than enough positions in most cases -- however when you look from residency to residency the competition looks stiffer -- this is only an artifact of the application process -- each applicant applies to many more spots than he or she is going to take. you should also note that a number of the applicants are applying from outside the united states -- of course for the more competitve specialties such as ENT, derm, neurosurgery -- the competition is stiffer due to the smaller number of spots nationwide -- just my 2 cents.

[This message has been edited by jawurheemd (edited 12-14-1999).]