Residency Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gymgivitis

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, as you all know the timeline for dental applications versus date of attendance is all sorts of screwy. It seems to pose issues when establishing state of residence on applications. So say it's May'16 and I'm wanting to apply to dental school at UNC and ECU for Fall'17 admission. However, I'm currently living in Texas until my year-long masters program in North Carolina starts in June'16. The law in NC for establishing residency is that the applicant must have lived and worked in NC for a year prior to the first day of the TERM being applied for. Hence late August '16-late August'17. And since we are all applying over a year prior to when we plan on attending dental school that creates an awkward 2 or so month grey area. I plan on attending a 1-year SMP or post-bacc (and working) in NC but at the time of dental application this will not have begun and I will still be finishing up my undergrad in Texas.

What do? Insight would be much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Should be good...are you trying to become a legal resident or a legal resident for in-state tuition purposes?
Both. My gf of a long time got accepted to Duke PT. So I'd like to pursue my dental goals there.
So you think even though I wouldn't have stepped a foot in NC in over 18 years at the time of dental apps I should be fine as long as I can provide evidence of my admission to a grad program there?

You can easily become a legal resident; however, you're going to have to do more research into finding out how long it takes to become considered a legal resident for tuition purposes. Factors to consider: are you a legal dependent on your parents tax returns? are you willing to establish domicile in NC? are you going to marry a NC legal resident? Check out the laws and statutes to find out what it takes to get in-state tuition.
According to the Eastern Carolina University Registrar you must have lived in NC for a year prior to the first date of the term you're applying for. This is imperative that I'm considered an instate for admissions because ECU/UNC take in few to no out of state applicants.

Members don't see this ad :)
Makes sense. You'll probably have to declare domicile in NC, get a NC driver's license, register to vote in NC, get a NC address, and maybe get a job in NC to prove you're a NC legal resident. Getting in-state tuition can be trickier.
Yeah and I guess I'm kind of curious about when I need to start that process. I haven't registered to vote here yet which is probably a good thing. And upon being accepted to the masters I'll find a place to live/change my license, plates, etc. I just wish the registrar office would answer my phone calls... but then again they don't know about dental application timeline since they are responsible for all departments.