Residency question...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Vicarbo

Dental Student
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My fiancee is a resident of Alabama, and we both live in Tennessee right now. I am originally a resident of Texas, and I was planning on applying with TMDSAS to those three schools. I think I may want to go to UAB to be closer to her family and because it's a good school. I go to her house in AL on breaks, and I can change my drivers license to AL. Do you think I should try to gain Alabama residency to go to the school, or is it too risky and I should stick with the TX schools.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

If you think you're a pretty stellar candidate and feel you have a good chance of being accepted to Alabama . . . that's one thing.

But if you feel you need to give yourself as many chances as possible, keep your Texas residency because there are more Texas schools. Being a resident definitely helps when applying to state schools.

Make sure you find out what the residency requirements are for Alabama's dental school. For example, to get state residency for UIC - you have to pay taxes, get driver's license/voter registration, and live in the state for a whole year. So do your research because that could also factor into your decision.

I got a 23/22/20, and i have a 3.7 GPA and a 3.6 sGPA. Tons of volunteering, started pre-dental society, tons of shadowing and assisting in GP, OMFS, and non profit clinics.

We could get married earlier, but then we would be independents with no income, so no health insurance, car insurance, etc. Right now, we are planning on getting married in Aug of 2008, so after i matriculate and way after applications (this cycle).

I'm still confused!

Members don't see this ad :)
You should really call up the schools in question and talk to them. It's possible if you make your case to Alabama they might encourage you to apply despite not being a resident, or give you a more detailed explanation of what you need to do to become one.

Wow, you have awesome stats! Very impressive . . . I would think you'd be considered a premier candidate.

Thanks!

I'm going to call UAB and talk to them today to find out about residency requirements and see if I can take a tour.