Residency Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

prehealth101

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there,
I just had a general question about residency and the boards. My main questions is, do you get an actual score on the boards as you would in other professional schools or is it just "pass/fail"? I did some researching on this and went to several different websites including nbpme.info and it says nothing about the scale of the test. For example, is it like the medical boards where u get 2 scores like 75/185, or maybe like dental where its just out of a 100. And if it is based on a numerical score instead of P/F, what's the national average and what's considered competitive for good residency placement? Thanks everyone.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi there,
I just had a general question about residency and the boards. My main questions is, do you get an actual score on the boards as you would in other professional schools or is it just "pass/fail"? I did some researching on this and went to several different websites including nbpme.info and it says nothing about the scale of the test. For example, is it like the medical boards where u get 2 scores like 75/185, or maybe like dental where its just out of a 100. And if it is based on a numerical score instead of P/F, what's the national average and what's considered competitive for good residency placement? Thanks everyone.

It is pass fail. No one (including residency directors) see your score ever. I believe you can pay a fee if you want and you (and only you) will see the actual numerical score.
It is irrelevant, because the test is written to be pass fail. I don't want to go into the nitty gritty of how this is different from a "normal" test, but it is. It is set up to make sure you are "minimally competent" to practice podiatry.

As far as residency, get decent grades and do really well on your rotations. From what I have heard, good grades might get you an externship/clerkship, but how you perform and how you mingle with current residents/attendings will be what gets you a program.
Good Luck

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi there,

no, pass/fail (parts 1-3), but ABPS gives a score

It is pass fail. No one (including residency directors) see your score ever. I believe you can pay a fee if you want and you (and only you) will see the actual numerical score.
It is irrelevant, because the test is written to be pass fail. I don't want to go into the nitty gritty of how this is different from a "normal" test, but it is. It is set up to make sure you are "minimally competent" to practice podiatry.

As far as residency, get decent grades and do really well on your rotations. From what I have heard, good grades might get you an externship/clerkship, but how you perform and how you mingle with current residents/attendings will be what gets you a program.
Good Luck

Faculty can get your score, I think that is how they are able to say whether the school did average of above average relative to the national average.

Faculty can get your score, I think that is how they are able to say whether the school did average of above average relative to the national average.

personal scores are not released except for the part one boards for the class of 2007 by accident were released.

Each school gets a break down of sections and how it did compared to the other schools and overall but not personal scores.

I didn't realize this, very helpful information. I guess I just assumed we got board scores because I thought they were a factor when applying for residency. So are GPA and how well you do on your externships really the main factors in determining residency placement?