Residency Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alparkeruab

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was looking on the AACPM website and I found this link: http://www.apma.org/s_apma/bin.asp?CID=165&DID=17030&DOC=FILE.pdf

Does the auth pos mean the number of residents they take into their program? If so, the number of residents each program takes seems extremely low. How do the pod residencies have enough slots to accomodate the graduating pod students each year?

Members don't see this ad.

I was looking on the AACPM website and I found this link: http://www.apma.org/s_apma/bin.asp?CID=165&DID=17030&DOC=FILE.pdf

Does the auth pos mean the number of residents they take into their program? If so, the number of residents each program takes seems extremely low. How do the pod residencies have enough slots to accomodate the graduating pod students each year?

I would go to http://www.casprcrip.org/html/casprcrip/directory.asp for the most accurate count. There are around 500 residency slots available and that is usually around the number that graduate yearly (with some fluctuation).

Great link! I'm probably the minority that didn't know this...but the updated info happens to be released tonight. Will the PMR-36 movement push all residencies to be this duration or will this occur over a period of time.. I guess I will find out with the newly published directory~
The 2009 CASPR Directory will be published on June 6, 2009, at 5pm EST

Members don't see this ad :)
So there is always talk of the "high powered" residency positions on these boards. How do you know which ones are the top? I don't know much about it since I am starting my first year this August. Do you figure it out from clubs or published material? I was just curious.

So there is always talk of the "high powered" residency positions on these boards. How do you know which ones are the top? I don't know much about it since I am starting my first year this August. Do you figure it out from clubs or published material? I was just curious.

To be perfectly honest, this question is extremely subjective. There is no official "ranking" but as you start school and research the list of available residencies and perhaps visit programs during your 3rd/4th years, you will see for yourself which programs stand out from the rest. The programs are typically spread across the country as well.

If you go to DMC you are scr_w_d and will only be chipping and clipping for the rest of your life.

But, if you are lucky enough to match with Inova you will be set.

If you go to DMC you are scr_w_d and will only be chipping and clipping for the rest of your life.

i can't tell if you being sarcastic or serious.

Hey, wait a second. I can cut a pair of nails in 37 seconds flat! That's 3.7 seconds per nail assuming the patient has 10 toes. I'd like to see you Inova people beat that. Not everyone can be as advanced as your residents and do actual nail avulsions!!! :laugh:

Last edited:
are there any residencies you guys can name that are notorious for being bad?

Hey, wait a second. I can cut a pair of nails in 37 seconds flat! That's 3.7 seconds per nail assuming the patient has 10 toes. I'd like to see you Inova people beat that. Not everyone can be as advanced as your residents and do actual nail avulsions!!! :laugh:

If I would have spent the whole 4 weeks cutting nails in FL like you did I would be that good too!

I soooooo wish you were kidding :scared:

I'm trying to forget that month!

wait so krabmas was not kidding. you really spent 1 month cutting just nails? Can you please elaborate more on this, so that we juniors can learn from the mistakes of seniors:)

wait so krabmas was not kidding. you really spent 1 month cutting just nails? Can you please elaborate more on this, so that we juniors can learn from the mistakes of seniors:)

what a good laugh.

I can laugh about it now, but in the moment I cried. actual tears.

It makes for a great story though.

so are there any notorious residencies that a person would want to avoid?

No, it is similar to a bell curve. I would say that the majority of residencies give you adequate training. And then there are a handful of "high power" programs and a handful of programs that you would probably want to stay away from.

It all depends on what you want out of a program. Some people would be miserable at highly academic and structured programs that have 12+ hour days, so they should probably avoid those clerkships and opt for more "family friendly" options. Other people would be bored to tears at the programs that only have a couple surgical cases per day, so they will likely elect for more volume and responsibility even if it means losing a lot of sleep for a couple years.

There are a lot of "top programs," but they are known for different things. Some for research, some for diabetic care, some for overall numbers, some for advanced recon (but less spectacular numbers because those cases take time), some for trauma, some for external rotation offerings, some have pretty balanced training, etc. You have to figure out what you want out of your PG years. If you elect to go for emphasis in one area, you might have to accept less experience in other aspects; it's a balancing act.