Residency Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

indianjatt

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been lurking the forums for a while where I have learned somewhat about DO schools. I was curious as to how much different are AOA programs in comparison to MD residencies. For example if someone does a residency in radiology that is only DO and someone does one that is Allopathic what will be the differences in pay, work environment, job opportunities, and training?

Please post if you know!

Members don't see this ad.

I have been lurking the forums for a while where I have learned somewhat about DO schools. I was curious as to how much different are AOA programs in comparison to MD residencies. For example if someone does a residency in radiology that is only DO and someone does one that is Allopathic what will be the differences in pay, work environment, job opportunities, and training?

Please post if you know!

there wont be any difference..
however location is a big thing in DO programs.. which make them less desirable.. however if you match into rads DO your in the good

Yeah. I feel like many of the DO "ROAD" residencies are in weird locations like Minnesota...but pay and such shouldn't be different.

However, many DO residencies are based out of smaller community hospitals. For some people this fact raises worries of a lack of exposure and caseloads. I personally don't worry about getting a lesser quality education at a community hospital...thats just my 2 cents though.

Members don't see this ad :)
ACGME programs are more likely to be in large, well known, academic programs. Therefore, they have a higher likelihood of getting you further along in the academic environment as well as getting a fellowship. So, if you want to be a cardiologist, you might want to go ACGME for IM because it is your easiest bet into a cardiology fellowship.

Most DO students chose ACGME.

There are generally many more programs on the ACGME side and also in better locations. So, ACGME programs many times are the better option if you dont want to live in rural oregon.

In terms of quality... well you can do your own research on that.

I would say that DO residencies are generally inferior to MD residencies. Unfortunately, AOA has to pick up, what is left, and it is usually small community places. That being said, i am sure that there are many decent programs, where one can get trained sufficiently. A lot of how well you get trained depends on you. Program gives exposure, but it cannot force you to be good.
Another point is, radiology, for example, is difficult to get. So if coming out of DO school, AOA radiology is your only option to become a radiologist, than take it. At the end of the day, you are still a board certified radiologist