Residency Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Opt2015

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

So since residency applications on ORMatch have opened, I am possibly interested in applying for an ocular disease residency or maybe primary care. I haven't been on here since my pre-optometry days and I know that this community is good at being very honest so I'm sure I will get good opinions, hopefully. And in case you need to know, I attend ICO.
So here are some questions (answer as many as you would like please):
1. I am not a top student at ICO. I have a 3.0 GPA and my part 1 board scores weren't super but I passed on my first attempt at least (if that even matters). I am involved in a few organizations on campus as well. So just based on this little amount of information, what are my chances of being accepted into an ocular disease or primary care residency? Should I still try? Am I wasting my time? I know you'll be honest. :)

2. How did you pick a residency from the huge list? Where do you find information about how each specific program works? Did you call them? Were your choices based on location? What all went into your selection? Because this sounds like it will get very expensive very quickly.

3. Any tips for the interview day?

4. Can you explain the process of how matching occurs?

5. Anything else to know about residency in general?

Thanks for your help everyone!

Members don't see this ad.