Residency Rankings?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

midwestern2008

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering if there is a site or publication which ranks the nationwide osteopathic orthopedic residency programs? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

As far as I know there are no published rankings for osteo ortho programs. However, there are 5-7 programs out there that have the combination of caseload, didactics, and facilities that are a cut above the rest. These programs in no particular order are Botsford, Lansing, Grandview, Harrisburg, Toledo and maybe colombus and york, PA. These programs, from both my personal experience, as well as from talking to other people seem to offer very good training. In all of these places, you feel comfortable doing most procedures coming out. Some of these places are more stronger in certain specialities. For example, Harrisburg is very strong in spine. Lansing is strong in Sports and foot and ankle. Grandview is very strong in hand and thery are soon getting a fellowship. Toledo is strong in trauma as they train in a level I trauma center. Other residency programs might be comparable to these programs but you cannot go wrong by applying to and rotating in these programs. hope this helped.

This is my perspective as a student tht has rotated at these programs

Memorial (york, PA)-

Good:Great reputation in the commuity, Tri-institutional program..Memorial,York,Siani...Lots of Spine..GreatTrauma..You will recieve great education..These guys get some of the best fellowships in the country..Being a PCOM student helps. Free gym membership..Good hospital food ..didactic is ok. Hot Nurses & techs

Neutral; This is completly a resident run program! Call can be non stop at York hospital.

Bad:Most attendings dont really care tht you are there...A majority of the residents are unhappy for different reasons..There is no method to the program directors madness..York is ****ty place to live..No longer doing Peds @ Hopkins. No residents clinic/No office hours. Not much research going on at all

NewYork:peninsulia Hospital

Good: Your in NY,lots to do when u have time..Multiple institutions like 5, Tons of attendings (some really good ones/ some realy bad), Learn lots of differnt ways of doing things..Residents are a happy group and cohesive. Some attendings will let you do an entire bread and butter case as a intern. Residents get really good fellowships primarily because of letters from attendings they work with. Residents clinic is great for learning once a week. Lots of diversity amongst patient population.

neutral: Resident run Program for the most part!

Bad:You have to do your internship @ Peninsulia hospital..not the best place. NY is an xpensive place to live, to many attendings, to many different ways of doing the same thing, You may be stuck watching a lot depending on the hospital: attendings dont like give up procedures and fellows tht work with attendings do most of the work. CPu systems suck.They will let you graduate from there and you may have no clue how to operate!! Noone cares about research.

Henery Ford Bi-county (Warren ,MI)

Good: Great Didactics probley the best ive seen,Very strong history of being a reputable program. Small program they take 2., Program name, Good away rotations, Great program director he really takes the time to teach, Residents are very nice..Spine is good.Afflilated with St. Joe Mecrcy macomb.. Office hours and residents clinic great for learning. resaerch oppertunities avalaible

Bad:Attendings are graduates of the same program..Not much variation in style..Frequent call/the same person takes call for 2 hospitals . Not so many cases, Lots of floor work, .Hospital food is the worst ever.

Genesys Regional Medical Center (Grand blanc, MI)

Good:Single institution.. Probley the nicest looking hospital i've seen!!All the facilities are state of the art. . Great workout facilities..Volume and more volume by far the most busy program....Residents are happy. Most seem to go straight into practice without fellowships..Lots of variety. early operative oppertunities. Most attendings are fellowship trained and want to teach not just do. Moonlighting..Great food.Oppertunity to do away electives..Low cost of living. Research oppertunities avaliable.

Neurtral: Super busy ER call can be non-stop.. Resident run program

Bad: Where is Grand Blanc, MI?...Not much diversity in patient population..Didactics is not very strong. Nurosurg does spine. Program director can be difficult to read. Lacking structure from a medical student prospective.

Members don't see this ad :)
just wanted to throw in my thoughts of a hidden gem that doesn't get much play...

Des Peres Hospital, St. Louis, MO
- All rotations in the same area
- Attendings such as Dr. Howard - Hand (written for Miller Review and the pocket ortho book), Dr. Whiteside - Joint (a guru in joint, "Whiteside's line"), Dr. Moed - Trauma (you do your trauma at SLU).
- They take 2 a year and are a tight group, score in the high 90%ile in the OITES.
- Never double scrub, preceptor style services
- As a 3 - 4 on Trauma at SLU, you are the chief over the SLU 4's

Take a look, you won't be disappointed.

just wanted to throw in my thoughts of a hidden gem that doesn't get much play...

Des Peres Hospital, St. Louis, MO
- All rotations in the same area
- Attendings such as Dr. Howard - Hand (written for Miller Review and the pocket ortho book), Dr. Whiteside - Joint (a guru in joint, "Whiteside's line"), Dr. Moed - Trauma (you do your trauma at SLU).
- They take 2 a year and are a tight group, score in the high 90%ile in the OITES.
- Never double scrub, preceptor style services
- As a 3 - 4 on Trauma at SLU, you are the chief over the SLU 4's

Take a look, you won't be disappointed.