ranking the osteopathic ortho residency programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

huh22

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
ok, i'm not trying to open up a can of worms or insult anyone, just a lowly third year student trying to figure out their fourth year schedule and those "audition" rotations.

just wondering how the ortho programs rank. i have heard that botsford and grandview are considered some of the best.

but which programs are considered mid and low tier?

the reason i ask is b/c i'm not exactly a superstar candidate, and i can only do three away ortho audition rotations. i'm totally ready to work hard and shine, but i don't want to "waste" one of my three rotations on a top level program when i might not even make their cutoffs. i'd rather just shoot for ANY ortho spot, and do everything i can to hopefully match, even if it's a "low" tier program. i'd be ecstatic to match anywhere.

also, does anyone know which programs specifically will just not consider anyone who did not rotate w/ them?

thanks!

p.s. how did you find this information btw? i've searched and searched, the opportunities site doesn't offer much. short of calling the PDs themselves i can't find this info anywhere.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Buckeye I thought you were gunning for neurosurg. Change of heart?

Nope not really. Since I basically want to do spine, I can do either neuro or ortho with the advantage of ortho being one year shorter.

I pm'd all of ya. Remember, this is what I have gathered from my research, rotations, talking to residents, and ortho gunners in my year. It is opinion and certainly, by no means, is an actual ranking. I encourage each of you to find a program that fits you-very important considering you'll be doing 5 years at the same place. As always-pm me ya have any other Q's.
Cheers-

would you PM me also!!!

thanks, bob

Nope not really. Since I basically want to do spine, I can do either neuro or ortho with the advantage of ortho being one year shorter.

Its only an extra year, you should really go into neuro. Besides, it will increase our chances of matching ortho, which is all that should matter. Isn't that why you got into medicine? To help other people.;)

thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd appreciate a PM too. Thanks a ton!

if you wouldn't mind please PM me as well

Me as well (or someone could post here) :p

ME TOOOO! seriously, i was just curious as to see the rankings, please send me too

me too please :)

Can I get this too.

I can't believe there are this many DO ortho applicants!

i'm an MSIII, how about all of you?

hey is there any way you could pm that list...seems to be a popular topic

peer pressure.......... pm me too please!!

Im a 3 too bro, sorry

Don't be sorry man, you're going neuro so its all good.

j/k there is enough spots for all of us. I was just surprised with how many DO ortho people are actually on this website. Its crazy because there is so little info online and yet this is one of the more popular ortho threads.

Does anyone else have a copy of this program rankings. Ive been checking my PM daily for a few weeks with nothing. Plus any information regarding pro's and cons of other programs would be helpful.

Can someone be so kind as to share some information regarding the PCOM and Harrisburg ortho programs as well? I can only rotate at one of these two and dont know much about them.

Hey guys/gals,
Sorry for the hiatus but I have been pretty busy over the holidays with rotations/family, etc. I also apologize to all the pm's I have not responded to...which I must admit, have been a lot more than I expected. As a result, I thought I would go ahead and put forth what I know/learned about DO ortho programs. Again, please reference my earlier tag where I mention this is, by no means, an actual list but rather one I have gathered through all my research and experience in the DO ortho world. I too was frustrated with the amount of info out there so in all fairness, I will comment on what I think, in my own opinion, on certain programs and what they look for or emphasize. I just don't want to get flamed by some current resident who see's this post..therefore, I will not discuss or comment on "weaker" programs. Furthermore, I don't believe there are any weaker programs as they all have positives and negatives. Also, I cannot comment on programs I have not heard much about such as the OK programs but I have a buddy who's an ortho intern in Tulsa and he has mostly positive things to say...have another fourth year bud who will be at OK city next year which again, seemed to be a good fit for him. Soooooo, without further adue (did I spell that right?!?!?...);

Grandview-always been considered a "top notch" program. Did not rotate here but have a classmate whom will be there next year and he gunned hard. Plenty of specialties including strong hand. Definitely have to gun here to be noticed. Like board scores, and from what I hear, base students are not given a preference...they are on even playing field with everyone. Once again, I cannot emphasize the gunning here. Unsure about didactics.
Doctor's Hospital-Columbus- Where I will be next year. So of course, I'm gonna tout the program. The big things here for me 1) They have ALL specialties..definitely a rarity in the osteo world 2) you can do all of your rotations/specialties in columbus 3) you do quite a bit at a level 1 trauma center, which is big to me and another rarity in the DO world 4) strong didactics. They do like board scores. Another place you HAVE to gun. We had 8-9 guys on service when I was there so do something to standout. Get FACE TIME. This was my #1 and am pretty stoked. I cannot say enough about how cool the residents are here. They will pimp but not to make you look like a jack***; just to teach you something and to find out what you know. They are easy to get along with and work hard/play hard.
Ingham-Don't know much but had a buddy rotate through up there and said it was all ortho hospitals and pretty hardcore. Do rotation(s) at Northwestern which can't be bad.
Des Peres- two words: board scores. You don't have 'em, don't bother.
PCOM-Great hospitals. They tend to favor PCOM basers but on the upside, I think they take 6/year which helps. I have heard that PCOM kids based there whom want ortho there start gunning from day 1..this may put you at a disadvantage (I.E. those of you not from PCOM).
Genesys-Have a ton of specialties, operate more than any hospital I went through. Beautiful hospital and great residents. Didactics are a little weak and somewhat disorganized. Gunning isn't so big here as others. Unsure of emphasis on boards.
South Pointe- Great residents, great attendings and good didactics. Lacking in hand and spine with limited number of cases in other areas. Great trauma and general ortho. Not so big on gunning but that may change with next years chief's. Not too heavy on boards. One of my favorite programs. Have another buddy who will be here next year. The director here is a standout-type of guy who fights to the death for his residents. Word is they may be attaining another hospital heavy on trauma.
Massillon-Great community hospital with great attendings. Good didactics with plenty of OR time in a variety of cases. Have to gun here...heavy on boards. Residents will pimp you pretty hard. Another buddy of mine will be here next year.
Toledo-Have to gun hard here. Have two buddies who will be here next year. I have heard it's a level one trauma center but they clash with MD ortho residents for trauma..but not totally sure. HEAVY on boards...i.e. the director will straight up ask you what you got..as will the secretary when you try to schedule a rotation!

These are the programs I know the most about..I hope this helps with any questions anyone might have. I will comment a little on what I believe is important in ANY ortho rotation
1) Work hard and enjoy what your doing
2) Crush boards, as this will open MANY doors to those programs which you didn't rotate at. I rotated through 4 programs and ended up with..I think 12 interviews. If you score 600+, your in pretty good shape
3) Get face time with the director and, if possible, ALL attendings
4) Know your ortho COLD. "The guy next to you gunning knows more than me"- if you keep telling yourself that, your drive to keep reading every night will stay up.
5) dominate first two years of med school...get high class rank
6) get INFLUENTIAL letters. Letters from the right people can get you a long way.
7)Don't lose track of why your doing this.....if you question yourself, this may not be your specialty.
8) Probably one of the most important- know your role. Don't be answering questions if a resident doesn't know it unless directly asked. Don't be annoying. There is such a fine-line between being there and busting your but, staying late, taking call and being there too much. If the residents have a say and they all agree you were a little too much, that can hurt you I can't say how you do this---on this one, to each his own.
9) schedule rotations as close as possible to interview time. I know this isn't possible for all of them but you may want to do your top choice near interview time so your face is fresh.

Remember-the best program is what fits you and most importantly, the one you got into
All right...I'm done. Sorry to write a book but like I said, you guys out there wanting ortho deserve a heads up and I will do anything to help you guys/girls out. Hope this helps and good luck...maybe I'll see a couple of ya comin through.

Cheers-
N

quick question, Mick, what do you mean by gunning, so we're all on the same page.

I spoke with the program director for the Ortho program here at Botsford and his comments are stated below. He did state that they do not use a cutoff for board scores especially if it is someone that has rotated here and they see them in action. Obviously if you have not been here board scores would likely be more important.

We look at board scores (they should be good, ie 90th percentile or above) It is very helpful to have rotated here, but not required. I also look at the personal statement, recommendations, and outside activities

Kevin Frankel DO FAAFP
Physician Director of Clerkship
Botsford Hospital

Here is my take on the whole DO ortho programs, ranking, matching...

Rankings: It doesn't exist, neither in the DO or MD world. Rankings such as US News and World report are not for residency criteria, it is more a ranking of patient care. You will find that a good ortho program is one that will prepare you well for GENERAL orthopedics and will help you meet the right people with the right exposure for good fellowships. Name dropping only goes so much, such as which program you went to. Especially when you're out practicing, no one will even question if you went to "A" DO program versus "B" DO program versus "C" MD program. UNLESS, it's at one of the big time institutions or if they know of the hospital somehow. So don't get caught up on "ranking" DO programs.

With that said, there are DO programs that are more respected and heavily touted than other DO programs (Grandview, Doctors, Des Peres, York, etc). Why? Either they traditionally take higher board scores or they have been in existence longer and solid institutions so their names carry some more weight in the DO ortho community.

Programs: Like I said, Grandview and Doctors are the two that as a consensus, most DO orthopods will say are well respected. Why? Because they produce competent orthopods and place them good fellowships. My plug is for Des Peres. This program rivals any MD community program. Only two a year (so they can pick the best of the best based on board scores, class rank) and usually it is mentorship style. So when you are on Spine, it's just you and the spine attending (not a team trying to split up cases). Also, the people you work with are stellar in the ortho academic world (Dr. Howard - Hand, Dr. Moed - Trauma, Dr. Whiteside of the "Whiteside line" - Joints). They have research opportunities if you are looking for it, and St. Louis is not too shabby. Most of these respected programs get a lot of stellar applicants so they are board score heavy. I think Des Peres usually scores in the 90th percentile for the annual OITEs (MD and DO programs compared).

Matching: It is no secret with DO programs...ROTATE and do it EARLY. Most will not even consider you if you didn't rotate there. Also, they evaluated you while you're there and have been known to offer up spots very early on while you rotate there. A few will interview some who do not rotate, but that is VERY few. As an ortho resident I can now see the good versus the bad applicants. I received 2/5 interviews at what I thought were the top programs and I did a short stint (2 weeks) at just one of them...that's with a pretty strong application.

GOOD
- Comes in early to round
- Doesn't complain and is energetic
- Get's along well with others and can carry on a conversation, has a personality.
- Knows there place...to make things easier for the residents, volunteer for scut and to not ask what you can do, but just do it!
- Knows there anatomy cold

BAD
- Always needs direction on what to do to help out (operative notes, daily notes, filling out scripts)
- Pimps other residents or med students
- Doesn't talk in a group or makes things awkward

My advice: Pick 2-3 programs that you really like and that you have a shot at (realistic board scores, class rank, etc) and apply to rotate middle of 3rd year for early 4th year rotations. Go there and shine, work hard, have fun. You will then find the place that you fit best. I found that in the DO ortho programs they are trying to match you as much as you are trying to match them.

For any DO students trying to match MD that's a whole other topic that I can give you my thoughts on too.

Best of luck to you all. Don't get caught up with rankings. The right program...is the one you get into and the one you exceed in.

pm me anytime (responses may be slow though)

I spoke with the program director for the Ortho program here at Botsford and his comments are stated below. He did state that they do not use a cutoff for board scores especially if it is someone that has rotated here and they see them in action. Obviously if you have not been here board scores would likely be more important.

We look at board scores (they should be good, ie 90th percentile or above) It is very helpful to have rotated here, but not required. I also look at the personal statement, recommendations, and outside activities

Kevin Frankel DO FAAFP
Physician Director of Clerkship
Botsford Hospital

The program director is a family med doc? What about this guy...http://www.botsford.org/educ/med_ed/programs/ortho/ortho.htm

As I stated I am the Physician Director of all student rotations here at Botsford, and I spoke with the program director (homer linard DO, Orthopedics) who gave me the information that I posted

Kevin Frankel DO

would you PM me also!

thank you. :)

Bump....I was wondering if anybody could add to this list

Last edited:
If anyone could send me a message with any information on the osteopathic ortho residencies that would be really appreciated. I really don't know much about any of the programs and with a score in the low 600's, I don't want to shoot for the most competitive ones. Thanks a bunch!

Could yoou please send me that info and add me?...I would really really appreciate it. thank you.

JSS

I knew of mickdogg81, and I highly highly doubt he is still roaming the SDN forums. Also, the info is nearly 4 years old and many programs can change significantly in that amount of time. Might be advantageous of you to possibly start a new thread on what other students think of certain programs so that you can get a better idea of various programs.

Last edited: