Residency reading preparation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

brainsalads

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since residency starts in a few months, are there any books anyone would recommend reading or skimming through so I won't look like a ***** on day 1. Im guessing something to do with surg path?

Members don't see this ad.

First of all, you need to relax and read something enjoyable that is not pathology.

If, after you have read a non-medical fiction book, spent time with friends and family, traveled, and just overall enjoyed life, and you still feel the burning desire to read before residency then I would recommend:

1. Lester Manual of Surgical Pathology to give you an idea of how to gross

2. Some kind of basic histology book (Wheater's, Histology for Pathologists etc) to know what normal tissue looks like.

You can always try to learn a little about what immunos go with what, learn a little about ajcc staging and cap checklists, and try to review some clinical stuff, but you don't need to overdo it.

The Practice of Surgical Pathology: A Beginner's Guide to the Diagnostic Process by Molavi--Have heard great things about it.

Members don't see this ad :)
You can always try to learn a little about what immunos go with what, learn a little about ajcc staging and cap checklists, and try to review some clinical stuff, but you don't need to overdo it.

What? Are you kidding me...that is overdoing it. No one is expecting much out of you as a first year. Know your histology and some basic Robbins systemic pathology.

What? Are you kidding me...that is overdoing it. No one is expecting much out of you as a first year. Know your histology and some basic Robbins systemic pathology.

Of course it is overdoing it, but they will have to learn it eventually.

My recommendation is first and foremost to relax and have fun. There is plenty of time to learn stuff. Enjoy your last few months of freedom. Once you start residency, despite the idea of 'vacation' you will never really be this free again.

This question comes up a lot and there is always debate between the "do nothing, chill out" side and the "read Robbins" side. I say just relax, go on vacation somewhere and unwind. There will be plenty of time in residency to learn stuff. You will never have a time in residency that you don't have something hanging over your head, even when on vacation. In fact, many of the residents in my program use vacation time to come to work and get things done (research projects, etc) because there is no time to do so during the regular work day and things get backed up. As someone posted above, you will never be this free and unencumbered again. Enjoy it now.