Residency requirements

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doctorzip

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys
I'm an IMG student at a Caribbean medical school and should be applying for residencies in a couple of years. I was wondering if there is a resource out there that gives a detailed outlook of the criteria program directors use when looking at applications. Specifically, I got into medschool after 2 years of undergrad and so I dont have a BSc. Will this hinder my chances at getting a spot barring all other factors (step score, LORs, etc)?

Members don't see this ad.

There really isn't an official resource, and it will depend upon what field you're looking at and the specific programs. However, in general the lack of a BS/BA isn't a major factor.

I was wondering if residency programs will look at your GPA, volunteer work, and MCAT from before medical school? I thought that residency only look at what you have done beginning with the first year of medical school, but I'm not sure.

I was wondering if residency programs will look at your GPA, volunteer work, and MCAT from before medical school? I thought that residency only look at what you have done beginning with the first year of medical school, but I'm not sure.

For the most part, no. Pre-med school GPA and MCAT are only available if put in your MSPE, and that's rare. Pre med school volunteer work you can list on your application if you want -- but I'd only do so if it's really meaningful. The longer your app gets, the less I read it.

For the most part, no. Pre-med school GPA and MCAT are only available if put in your MSPE, and that's rare. Pre med school volunteer work you can list on your application if you want -- but I'd only do so if it's really meaningful. The longer your app gets, the less I read it.

That's good to know. So, when it comes time to match for residency, programs only look at your grades from medical school and USMLE scores when it comes to looking at grades and exam scores? I was considering taking the MCAT again to get a better score as far as residency is concerned, but if residency programs don't ask for your MCAT score than I'll pass on the retake and take an extra class and volunteer more.

MCAT and pre-med school grades, GAWD no. However, I have been pleasantly surprised how much positive attention my previous years of work as a PA have garnered. Seems residencies appreciate a strong pattern of employment and high-responsibility healthcare experience.

There's a few rare exceptions I've heard of. More or less, some Ortho programs are completely and utterly insane. My roommate in medical school applied fairly broadly, and had random programs requesting things like a separate personal statement customized for them, a handwritten copy of his regular personal statement, his MCAT transcript, his SAT transcript (not kidding), etc. But 99% of programs in every other specialty don't ask for that sort of thing.

There's a few rare exceptions I've heard of. More or less, some Ortho programs are completely and utterly insane. My roommate in medical school applied fairly broadly, and had random programs requesting things like a separate personal statement customized for them, a handwritten copy of his regular personal statement, his MCAT transcript, his SAT transcript (not kidding), etc. But 99% of programs in every other specialty don't ask for that sort of thing.
Lol! The scene from super troopers where they see who can say meow the most comes to mind. Meanwhile in my family medicine interview they took me to an NBA game and paid for my beer!