Residency Review Discussions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Come now. I grew up just outside of Houston so I must come to its defense.

Houston has great sports (we win about as much as the Cleveland teams do), great water sports, 4 seasons (so what if 3 1/2 of them are summer), incredible fishing, small town flavor (compared with NY, LA or Chicago) and incredibly nice people.

So there!

Take care,
Jeff

Members don't see this ad.

I will simply say that all of my wifes family is from there, she lived there for a yr (requiring numerous visits on my part), I can simply say I dont like it. I am looking for similar things to you corpsman but Cleveland doesnt have it for me. I am married, planning on having kids at some time and def want an affordable COL. I guess to each their own. No comment on houston, never been there, heard mixed things.. Very low COL so as I have heard.

EctopicFetus said:
I will simply say that all of my wifes family is from there, she lived there for a yr (requiring numerous visits on my part), I can simply say I dont like it. I am looking for similar things to you corpsman but Cleveland doesnt have it for me. I am married, planning on having kids at some time and def want an affordable COL. I guess to each their own. No comment on houston, never been there, heard mixed things.. Very low COL so as I have heard.

The great thing about this country is that there is a place for everyone to feel at home. I'll agree with Jeff only on the premise that Houston has some great people. The hardest thing about leaving Texas if I ever do will the fact that Texans are great people. But the 3.5 seasons of summer really sucks! I am sure I would complain if I had 2 seasons of snow, but not as much as I do now. CHicago is an awesome place. I would live there if I did not have kids and could require no car. There is a world of difference between Houston and any place 50 miles in any direction. Bryan, Victoria, Huntsville, etc...are nice. Houston though is the pits Jeff. We can argue that next month! Cleveland on the other hand, along with Pittsburgh, have a much better flavor and feel than their reputation allows for. Its sad in a way. Both places worked so hard to sell their cities to interviewees when I felt they sold themselves. I actually thought both cities were way more desirable from a city standpoint that my own in Texas or even Indy for that matter. These factoids have to be considered in the long run.

Members don't see this ad :)
corpsmanUP said:
I'll agree with Jeff only on the premise that Houston has some great people.

Don't forget the great fishing!

Plus, nobody can beat us on the size of our mosquitos (except Alaska but they don't really count...no EM program).

Take care,
Jeff

tiene dolor? said:
Yeah, Huntsville is really scenic...particularly with that enormous maximum security prison / pre-execution warehouse.

Lovely place to raise a family, i'm sure. :smuggrin:

Try not to make assumptions unless you have been there. Huntsville is a neat little town and it is where hills start to roll with piney woods. Sure it has several prisons, but I am sure people still liked living in San Fran when Alcatraz was still functional. The prisons are not on the beaten paths except for the Walls Unit. Yes, we do execute people in Texas, and normally for good reason. If someone were to mutilate one of my kids, I would be in the witness room wearing my cheerleader skirt I can promise!! And this comes from what some call a liberal. Liberal Texan is not liberal on any other scale of ideology I can tell you!

I personally have a lakehouse just 10 miles north of Huntsville on a cove off the Trinity river where it comes into Lake Livingston. Fishing is nice, and people are great. And yes, we go to Huntsville for dinner all the time. But there "aint no" EM residency within driving distance there. Houston is another world. Central Texas is as well...just ask Jeff. Galvatraz will soon have an EM program but I would sooner lose a gonad to a hungry squirrel unanestetized than live in that foul arena for another 3 years. Jeff will disagree again I am sure, but ten bucks says he wouldn't be willing to put his kids in public school on the island. They might come home flashing gang signs :)

corpsmanUP said:
I personally have a lakehouse just 10 miles north of Huntsville on a cove off the Trinity river where it comes into Lake Livingston. ......

No joke? I grew up in Cleveland and learned to waterski on Lake Livingston. Cool.

corpsmaUP said:
Jeff will disagree again I am sure, but ten bucks says he wouldn't be willing to put his kids in public school on the island. They might come home flashing gang signs :)

Yep, I'll disagree again (although I really like the image of the squirrel). Galveston has changed alot in the past 10 years. It is turning into a really nice place. Most of the scum has moved on. In fact, there are actually some decent public schools way out on the West End.

Of course, in the interest of full disclosure, I have to admit I sent my kids to private school on the island. :)

Take care,
Jeff

BTW, Hunstville is a really nice part of the state. Besides, the lights don't dim throughout town during an execution since we went to lethal injection. My mom lived there back in the chair days. Fun stories.

corpsmanUP said:
Try not to make assumptions unless you have been there. Huntsville is a neat little town and it is where hills start to roll with piney woods. Sure it has several prisons, but I am sure people still liked living in San Fran when Alcatraz was still functional. The prisons are not on the beaten paths except for the Walls Unit. Yes, we do execute people in Texas, and normally for good reason. If someone were to mutilate one of my kids, I would be in the witness room wearing my cheerleader skirt I can promise!! And this comes from what some call a liberal. Liberal Texan is not liberal on any other scale of ideology I can tell you!

Regarding execution, always good to review our ethical canons (being an observer would allow you to watch vitals and watch someone's not-a-signed-DNR death... seems rather un-physicianlike).

http://www.ama-assn.org/ama/pub/category/8419.html

Additionally, Cleveland is a sad, soulless place that took 5 years of my life. Avoid it unless you are from there or have an immediate family that will absorb all of your free time. And good luck if you're not a straight, white person.

Blah.. Some people deserve to be executed.. Thats my $0.02, the thing is it takes way too long for that outcome. We are paying a lot of money for nothing.

Good info.. So Jacobi is your #1 :)

Apollyon said:
Times must have changed - when I was there, Elmhurst was crushed with drunks, and Sinai was slightly more cush.

...you know, i had a good time at my interview and a good time for my second look, but you're right, it's just a two day glimpse and impressions/opinions from a handful of residents

... and it really is all a crap shoot, but i liked the residents more than some other places i looked and that's what i'm going on these days

cuttysark said:
-commute to Queens isn’t that bad apparently (20 minutes by car? 45 min by subway), but still annoying

Not to mention the $9 a day toll! $4.50 each way on the bridges between Queens and Manhattan

Members don't see this ad :)
It's clean, affordable, and safe. What more could you want?

corpsmanUP said:
....and thank God I saw no "W" stickers on any cars.

Corpsman:
Thanks alot for the thorough reviews of these programs. It's kind of funny that you make the above statement, and in the next post sing the praises of maybe the most pro-Bush area in the nation. Not trying to start anything, just thought it was kind of funny! Actually, I hated to see you give S&W such a good review. It's probably the best kept secret in EM (and we should keep it that way!). Anyway good luck in the match!
CM

DocCM said:
Corpsman:
Thanks alot for the thorough reviews of these programs. It's kind of funny that you make the above statement, and in the next post sing the praises of maybe the most pro-Bush area in the nation. Not trying to start anything, just thought it was kind of funny! Actually, I hated to see you give S&W such a good review. It's probably the best kept secret in EM (and we should keep it that way!). Anyway good luck in the match!
CM

Bush is a fraud and a disgrace to Texas, and I bet you his support among central Texans has dwindled in the last many months as their grandchildren and children from Fort Hood continue to get sent over to die for what? Oh yes, for democracy, which is really not our problem. I don't see us invading the Congo to support a pro-democratic government, or Lybia, or Russia for that matter. Nothing but lies from this guy, and his legacy will forever tarnish hard working Texas. It used to faddish to have a W sticker in Texas, and now it just gets you run off the road!! I voted for GW as our governor, and even for his first term as pres. Even moderates saw the value of a pro-Texas prez, but he did not get my vote the 2nd time. My brothers are over there..brothers in arms that is. They deserve a better reason to risk their lives, other than to get some bearded man out of a hole. He's out of the hole, now lets get the f-k home! Hell I would have prefered Gore now that its all come down to this mess. And why is my gas 2.40 a gallon now that we have our 51st state in Iraq? You tell me. Ok, back to the original purpose of my thread.

Last interviews at Geisinger and Penn State in 10 days, and will wrap things up then. I might even get the balls to post my ROL if I can ever nail it down. I have the numero uno, but now its time to get the next 4!

Def Not gonna talk politics but I will say Corpsman that I think most agree to post their ROLs after Feb 22nd (once it is official you know)...

I bet you thought I was gonna talk political.. :);)

corpsmanUP said:
Bush is a fraud and a disgrace to Texas, and I bet you his support among central Texans has dwindled in the last many months as their grandchildren and children from Fort Hood continue to get sent over to die for what? Oh yes, for democracy, which is really not our problem. I don't see us invading the Congo to support a pro-democratic government, or Lybia, or Russia for that matter. Nothing but lies from this guy, and his legacy will forever tarnish hard working Texas. It used to faddish to have a W sticker in Texas, and now it just gets you run off the road!! I voted for GW as our governor, and even for his first term as pres. Even moderates saw the value of a pro-Texas prez, but he did not get my vote the 2nd time. My brothers are over there..brothers in arms that is. They deserve a better reason to risk their lives, other than to get some bearded man out of a hole. He's out of the hole, now lets get the f-k home! Hell I would have prefered Gore now that its all come down to this mess. And why is my gas 2.40 a gallon now that we have our 51st state in Iraq? You tell me. Ok, back to the original purpose of my thread.

Last interviews at Geisinger and Penn State in 10 days, and will wrap things up then. I might even get the balls to post my ROL if I can ever nail it down. I have the numero uno, but now its time to get the next 4!

Not to get in the way of your passionate post as I am sure you have personal reasons for feeling so strongly on the subject, but again, it was a simple observation- not meant to start something. Anyway, if you want to blame high gas prices on something look towards the gulf and lack of drilling and refining capabilities following Rita and Katrina (along with price elevation from oil companies). It's not as fun and glamorous as "Bush lied," but there is some truth to it. Again, good luck on your remaining interviews and the match.
CM

DocCM said:
Not to get in the way of your passionate post as I am sure you have personal reasons for feeling so strongly on the subject, but again, it was a simple observation- not meant to start something. Anyway, if you want to blame high gas prices on something look towards the gulf and lack of drilling and refining capabilities following Rita and Katrina (along with price elevation from oil companies). It's not as fun and glamorous as "Bush lied," but there is some truth to it. Again, good luck on your remaining interviews and the match.
CM

Uhh Ohh... Now we're talking politics :scared:

Well, this topic is one way to quickly catch up with Pathology on total posts. ;)

CS_22 said:
Uhh Ohh... Now we're talking politics :scared:

Well, this topic is one way to quickly catch up with Pathology on total posts. ;)
I'm done! No more politics! I really didn't want to hijack this thread- it's been somewhat useful for me and other applicants.
CM

Yeah.....can't say I like bringing the whole political thing into our completed interviews thread.

Having said that. You ain't gonna find a more pro-Bush person on this site.

just had to plug "W" amidst the bashing. and whoo hooo Alito is thru the committe....now the rest is just formality.

anyway.......NO POLITICS! as of RIGHT NOW. ha ha

Amongst the bush bashing, I was hoping I could get some information about U of C's interview day and overall info about their program. I've had no luck posting this question as its own thread and I know many of you folks have had interviews at U of C, so please PM me or post!

Thanks

Ruby :)

I worked with some of them and they do a month of trauma surg at Mt Sinai and work the ED there for 2 months I believe... That place is loaded with penetrating traumas and at least one GORY (sp?) MVA on the weekends.. I dont know if this is changing since I didnt interview there.. But I have worked with their residents to a man they will tell you how happy they are.. Just something to think about..

1- bush is NOT from texas. he is a faker

2- he is from MAINE.

3- do NOT insult us texans by lumping him with us.

That is all.

roja said:
1- bush is NOT from texas. he is a faker

2- he is from MAINE.

That is all.
Two out of three ain't bad-
1-He IS a faker (among other things)
2-He is NOT from Texas
3-He is Not from Maine! His momma had a daddy that had a big-giant house in Kennebunkport, which is really Maine in name only. Like most good things in today's Bushdom, this "cottage" was inherited by Barb.
He IS from Connecticut. This is also where he received at least one DUI. (Bringing it back to EM-land)

Sorry for continuing that hijack.
To all the PGY-1s to be-
Thank you for your input on this thread. Your information is useful for those of us getting ready to enter the pipe.
As a current MS3 I hope to continue this sharing of experiences next year.

I reckon I better score some interviews first. :scared:

Thank you again.
F

F-

you will get your interviews. Worry not.. People should def make the honest effort to continue to pass along info. We have a great opportunity to make life better and easier for all.

This political wrangling... Oh well I just I hope these states dont get to overturn legalized abortion.. They are lining up.. which I do not like (there is my semi-political) statement.. I am pro-choice.. But I do think having a woman who was G15P5 (Seriously) with 9 elective ABs... This I think is wrong in too many ways to count..

EctopicFetus said:
F-

you will get your interviews. Worry not.. People should def make the honest effort to continue to pass along info. We have a great opportunity to make life better and easier for all.

This political wrangling... Oh well I just I hope these states dont get to overturn legalized abortion.. They are lining up.. which I do not like (there is my semi-political) statement.. I am pro-choice.. But I do think having a woman who was G15P5 (Seriously) with 9 elective ABs... This I think is wrong in too many ways to count..

Ha Ha... Now we're definately not going to have a problem catching path... Consider this thread hijacked! :laugh:

CS_22 said:
Ha Ha... Now we're definately not going to have a problem catching path... Consider this thread hijacked! :laugh:

I say out of respect for those who have posted completed interview reviews, we start a new post about politics, etc, lay some ground rules at the beginning of the thread (ie. no bashing each other, respect all views, blah blah blah), and let's have a serious discussion and very quickly catch up to the total posts in pathology.

As a matter of fact, I'll start it.

CS

And since I started this thread, I will get it back on track (and then head over to the new thread to throw some blows !!! :)

Sitting at home sick with what feels like freaking ebola, I must say that it makes me type less for once. I just wanted to say that I did not complete an interview experience for each of my interviews because I simply ran out of steam. I'll do my best to add a few over the next day or so while I am in my PJ's.

Sorry about my little rant.. I tried before to not add to it but...Ill throw up a little love regarding some of my interviews.. Does it matter at this point?

Interviews are done!

emmd2b said:
Interviews are done!

gee, thanks for all the info on the interviews :rolleyes:

i see where you posted the interviews you received, but not where you let all of us in on what you thought about the programs. those were some great programs and i'd love to hear what you thought was good/bad.
streetdoc

can anyone give some info about MCOW? I interviewed there a while back and it's all kind of a blurr...too bad i didnt take good notes

I'm in the same boat. I'll post my review of all the programs AFTER ROL's are in because of this one thing....I'm not all that anonymous :laugh: Several PD's as well as residents and applicants knew me from this board and the "I'd hit it" :D has come up in interviews :p

Having said that, I loved all the programs I interviewed at, will be happy at any of them, and in the end I'm just totally psyched to be here!

TysonCook said:
I'm in the same boat. I'll post my review of all the programs AFTER ROL's are in because of this one thing....I'm not all that anonymous :laugh: Several PD's as well as residents and applicants knew me from this board and the "I'd hit it" :D has come up in interviews :p

Having said that, I loved all the programs I interviewed at, will be happy at any of them, and in the end I'm just totally psyched to be here!

That is way too f-in funny!!! Same thing happened to me at one of my interviews.....a resident and faculty brought up many of the things I have said here...luckily they had thought processes similar to mine and found my comments rather funny. But its still a bit stressful when the topic comes up!! So I agree on waiting for the ROL. Not that I have anything really bad to say about any program whatsoever but I agree that honesty will prevail a tad bit more from everyone one when the lists are in!! I'd be happy at any of the places I interviewed..save maybe one, but I'm even going to rank it...because its better to be somewhere you don't like for 3 years than to be doing something I don't want for a lifetime!!

Pete Veinkman said:
Mt Sinai has really made a lot of changes, (I'm one of the residents). I think people who have may have called it second tier haven't been there in a while. The program is 9 years old, and has made great changes every year. Now it's a 4 year program with residents working 32 hours/wk in the 4th year giving you time to develop your niche/mini fellowship, and clinically you are running the department in a Jr attending role. With the new changes people have been concentraing on sim medicine, US, admin, law, and public health during the 4th year. We've been getting jobs based on a lot of this 4th year work, bringing these disciplines to other programs. (Last year's Chief is setting up the sim lab at USC.) Next year we're starting a global health program for 3 residents per class, giving them an extra curriculum (2 weeks of classes), a 2 week preliminary visit to ther global health site in the 3rd year, and 2 months combined to visit their site in the 4th year with time left to publish the data/experience. Sites range from Haiti to Africa...

Conference is amazing, and we have 30 invited speakers this year thanks to all Jagoda's conncetions. This has to be one of the most in the country...

The blend of Elmhurst and Sinai is amazing, and Sinai is the premiere program now in the NY City, (but I'm a little biased). They've given a purpose to the 4th year, which will make you an attractive candidate in both academic and community environments when it's all said and done. I think we've changed tiers and then some...

Dr. Venkman,

On our Sinai tour we went up to the library to see the view of Central Park. One of the residents pointed out the building where Gozer the Gozerian appeared. Do you think this fascination with Ghost Busters is common among the residents? More importantly, would you say an intimate connection with Ghost Busters was actually the key factor behind Sinai's improved curriculum and reputation? Is Dr. Jagoda in fact Gozer's most recent manifestation?

Thank you for any help you can provide as I make out my rank list.

Oh, I almost forgot. Politics politics politics politics politics politics. See? I still read the newspaper and stuff.

plank said:
Dr. Venkman,

On our Sinai tour we went up to the library to see the view of Central Park. One of the residents pointed out the building where Gozer the Gozerian appeared. Do you think this fascination with Ghost Busters is common among the residents? More importantly, would you say an intimate connection with Ghost Busters was actually the key factor behind Sinai's improved curriculum and reputation? Is Dr. Jagoda in fact Gozer's most recent manifestation?

Oh, I almost forgot. Politics politics politics politics politics politics. See? I still read the newspaper and stuff.

:laugh: :laugh: Thank you for this post. :laugh:

plank said:
Dr. Venkman,

This is all true. Jagoda used to be a terror dog.

Does anyone remember that thread from last year where people would write their comments as they attended interviews? I can't find it anywhere, but that would be really helpful about now. Has this been deleted or what? if anyone knows what i'm talking about please post a link...

Probably better to start one for this year once the interviews get underway

remember the posts, but can't find it either. certainly would be a nice reference heading into interviews....

bumping this thread so those who started interviews can write about their thoughts. I thought about starting a new thread for this year but there are good links in this one.