Residency... Rotations at human hospital?

Started by ferral
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

ferral

member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just curious... Does anyone know anything about this?

So, I was reading small animal surgical residency program descriptions on the ACVS website and noticed that there are a lot of programs that allow you to do surgical or medical rotations at human hospitals. Does anyone know anything about this??? It just surprized me.... Does this mean that they actually let veterinary surgical residents - after 5+ years of medical training - participate in human surgeries or medicine?? Or are they actually just participating in rounds or lectures?
 
Does this mean that they actually let veterinary surgical residents - after 5+ years of medical training - participate in human surgeries or medicine?? Or are they actually just participating in rounds or lectures?

I did a 4 week Human ER/Surgery rotation the last year of my residency. I dressed like them and walked around with them, rounded with them, got to scrub in with them and was introduced as "Dr." It was a blast.. I didn't actually do anything that I wasn't licensed to do but it was great fun to see how the other half lives.

I offer the same opportunity to my residents now.. about half of them take me up on it and everyone enjoys the rotation. I have even had 4 Physicians (faculty and residents) do similar rotations with me.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
That's really neat, Weazlebub! I love comparative stuff like that and "cross cultural learning," if you will. 😀 From what little I've seen of nutrition residencies, they often want to you to attend classes in the human nutrition side of things too.
 
My residency is at a human medical school. Complete with a human hospital and everything😀
 
I did a 4 week Human ER/Surgery rotation the last year of my residency. I dressed like them and walked around with them, rounded with them, got to scrub in with them and was introduced as "Dr." It was a blast.. I didn't actually do anything that I wasn't licensed to do but it was great fun to see how the other half lives.

I offer the same opportunity to my residents now.. about half of them take me up on it and everyone enjoys the rotation. I have even had 4 Physicians (faculty and residents) do similar rotations with me.

Wow. Thanks Weazlebub! I was hoping it was something like that.
The cultures of human medicine and veterinary medicine are so different; it would be really interesting to see the other side from an "insiders" perspective. What a cool experience for both sides!
I'm curious as to how the physicians reacted when participating in veterinary surgical rotations 🙂
 
I'm curious as to how the physicians reacted when participating in veterinary surgical rotations 🙂

It varies a bit but in my experience it's generally been positive. MDs tend to be less familiar about vet. med. then we are about human medicine so they're sometimes surprised at what we do: "You mean you put in total hip replacements in dogs?" "You do spine surgery?" "Hey, that's the same chemo drug we use."

But once they understand that everything usually goes fine. In fact I think some of them become a little jealous because they see that we get all the fun stuff of medicine with not as much of the BS (insurance, medicaid, malpractice, drug seekers, idiot patients).