residency scenario

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ucd

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering for a school like DMU, where pod students get graded on the same curve as med students, that it might be slightly harder to get an A in a class VS a student at an independent pod school. So, lets same both these students were to apply to residency, would the DMU kid with a (2.0 GPA +bottom 50% of class) be at a disadvantage vs. a( 3.0 kid +top 50%) from an independent pod school? Or will program directors be like DMU is a solid program, where they take classes with med students and are curved and so we'll give him a break. just curious on your thoughts.

Members don't see this ad.

I was wondering for a school like DMU, where pod students get graded on the same curve as med students, that it might be slightly harder to get an A in a class VS a student at an independent pod school. So, lets same both these students were to apply to residency, would the DMU kid with a (2.0 GPA +bottom 50% of class) be at a disadvantage vs. a( 3.0 kid +top 50%) from an independent pod school? Or will program directors be like DMU is a solid program, where they take classes with med students and are curved and so we'll give him a break. just curious on your thoughts.
I can't answer your question but I wouldn't assume that it's necessarily easier to get an A at an independent school. I can only speak from my experience at NYCPM. Here, most of our pre-clinical professors are from Mt. Sinai med school, they grade and test in a similar fashion to what they would there...

Residencies with multiple externs from multiple progams often see trends in GPA from the different schools. The classic example was a student rotating from a particular school a couple years ago who was ranked #17 in the class and had a 4.0. Obviously, at DMU, very few, if anyone, has a 4.0. So yes, most residencies are aware of these trends and take that into consideration. Having said that, at most programs, your externship performance will be more valuable than your CV so it's not really a huge deal either way.

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks for the response guys. I know that the CV is important, but don't lots of externships have a GPA requirement....which ultimately gives you a chance to impress the program and be accepted for a spot. If you go to a competitive school and your gpa suffers, then you lose those opportunities. I guess I'm nervous that programs look more closely at GPA ( where every school is different in how they hand out their grades) VS. Board scores (an equalizer)

Board SCORES are not looked at. The tests are pass/fail. Programs do check 1st time pass or not...Anyway this could change but not for at least a few years.

When I was looking at different program requirements many did not have gpa requirements but instead had requirements that you had to be in the top fifty or twenty five etc percentile in the class so even if you are at a harder school it's not about you gpa as much as it is where you stand compared to others in your class. I think this is the better way to do it.

When I was looking at different program requirements many did not have gpa requirements but instead had requirements that you had to be in the top fifty or twenty five etc percentile in the class so even if you are at a harder school it's not about you gpa as much as it is where you stand compared to others in your class. I think this is the better way to do it.

I disagree with you. I think class rankings are a worse requirement to solely use for externships. Many students in my class are separated by something like .3 or .4 and can be 10-15 spots below someone with that minute difference in GPA. I think that two students, being equal in everything else, shouldn't not get a externship because they are 10 people lower than the next. If the GPAs are close, then it boils down to timing. Who sent their application in first, who has a more flexible schedule, etc.

I disagree with you. I think class rankings are a worse requirement to solely use for externships. Many students in my class are separated by something like .3 or .4 and can be 10-15 spots below someone with that minute difference in GPA. I think that two students, being equal in everything else, shouldn't not get a externship because they are 10 people lower than the next. If the GPAs are close, then it boils down to timing. Who sent their application in first, who has a more flexible schedule, etc.

Good point I'm not suret there is a 100% accurate fair way? There will always be people on the bubble though and are left out no matter the system when it comes down to the more competitive externships and residencies.

Residencies with multiple externs from multiple progams often see trends in GPA from the different schools. The classic example was a student rotating from a particular school a couple years ago who was ranked #17 in the class and had a 4.0. Obviously, at DMU, very few, if anyone, has a 4.0. So yes, most residencies are aware of these trends and take that into consideration. Having said that, at most programs, your externship performance will be more valuable than your CV so it's not really a huge deal either way.
Yep^^

At most programs, it basically goes in a systematic eval, and gpa isn't usually very high on most programs' list:
1) Did they pass boards first try? (the only common way of comparing all candidates on level ground)
2) Did they work hard on the clerkship? Motivated and good personality? Did they know a lot compared with peers? Did the residents like them?
3) Are they a very high ranked students or going to a school known to pass boards and produce good students/residents?
4) Are they top X% in their class? (not real important, but gains more weight at the schools that put out a "variety pack" of grads)
5) Research? EC? LORS? etc

Usually, if you have passed boards, you will get the clerkship unless your gpa is way below the program's typical standards for applicants. Unless ou are top quarter of your class, the clerkship might not be your top choice month at a popular program, but if you want to go there, make it work. From there, that clerkship's definitely your main way to make or break your luck with the program. It's basically a clean slate from there.

Gpa/rank is mainly important for "walk on" type candidates who try to interview into programs without clerking - and maybe even without ever setting foot in the hospital. If you give them no clerkship to go by, then most programs will barely consider you - unless your interview and paper app is better than most/all of their clerks. Gpa is also very important to those students who end up the scramble, but national boards is still far and away #1 for them.

That is too wide of a gap. A 2.0 at any school is not good and the 3.0 is at an advantage.

Thanks for all the response!

@spo01-yea, the gpa range may have been a little too extreme. I guess GPA doesn't play as big a deal as I thought.