Residency search- all HCAs bad?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The number of medical school grads is up 30+%

I don’t think I’m hot stuff cause I got into school before. Math is math though. And comparing the number of bachelors degrees handed out makes no sense. Plenty of southern New Hampshire university type online degrees To fluff that. Listened to a podcast recently maybe stuff you should know and they talked about how the elite universities haven’t moved their class sizes even as demand and cost soar.
more Jenny’s with Their sub community college standards degrees don’t count.
re carribean it’s a tough road to hoe for those who go that way. I’m not here to poop on them.
i will say and Ive Said it before barring a really special circumstance I’ll never had a hca residency grad as my partner as long as I get a say in hiring. Maybe I’m a d bag but that’s what it is. To me it shows such poor insight and decision making that it can’t ever be overcome (outside of a very special situation).

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
My interaction a few years ago from dumb CMG trained doc Who happened to be the medical director at nearby hospital.
For Brevity we will call him DumbDoc (DD)

DD calls my ED and speaks to my charge nurse about a patient. He asks if he can speak with me. I happened to be there and my patient was seen by me 2-3 days prior. Pt had a tendon lac and I closed and referred to hand as is our usual here, I even think I spoke to hand on the day of the initial encounter.

DD angrily: Hey EF your patient is in my ED
EF: OK?
DD angrier: THIS IS AN EMTALA VIOLATION, I am an EMTALA expert.
EF: I’m sorry I’m confused.
DD angrier yet: Well you say the patient and DC’ed them with hand follow up but they came to my ED 2 days later because they couldnt see ortho today.
EF: Did they call the clinic to make an appt?
DD: NO. They just came here instead, this is an EMTALA violation
EF: OK. Well tell them to see Dr. Hand, I gave them contact info and FYI this isnt an EMTALA violation.
DD: I’m the medical director here and this is an EMTALA violation
EF: Ok well you talk to your hospital and have them file the report.
-End scene

Me laughing to my charge nurse that this “director” doesnt know the basics on EMTALA.

I wish this was my only interaction with someone from HCA land who was an imbecile. I dont argue with people on the phone. He wanted to scare me I guess. I am a believer that actions speak louder than words. As such I will bth say I will never have an HCA grad as a partner with me and Ill do whatever I can to prevent it.

If you are a medical student avoid at all costs, don’t interview there dont rank them etc. In this day and age do the smart thing and get decently trained. Soon there will be no jobs for you.

Reactions: 2 users
My interaction a few years ago from dumb CMG trained doc Who happened to be the medical director at nearby hospital.

DD calls my ED and speaks to my charge nurse about a patient. He asks if he can speak with me. I happened to be there and my patient was seen by me 2-3 days prior. Pt had a tendon lac and I closed and referred to hand as is our usual here, I even think I spoke to hand on the day of the initial encounter.

DD angrier yet: Well you say the patient and DC’ed them with hand follow up but they came to my ED 2 days later because they couldnt see ortho today.
EF: OK. Well tell them to see Dr. Hand, I gave them contact info and FYI this isnt an EMTALA violation.
-End scene

Me laughing to my charge nurse that this “director” doesnt know the basics on EMTALA.

I wish this was my only interaction with someone from HCA land who was an imbecile. I dont argue with people on the phone. He wanted to scare me I guess. I am a believer that actions speak louder than words. As such I will bth say I will never have an HCA grad as a partner with me and Ill do whatever I can to prevent it.

If you are a medical student avoid at all costs, don’t interview there dont rank them etc. In this day and age do the smart thing and get decently trained. Soon there will be no jobs for you.
This is near my exact experience with CMG/HCA grads. Thinking they know some thing, when in Reality they are a neophyte. I don’t blame them for thinking like that, you have made it this far so there is no way you don’t know what your doing…right?

The quote for some stoic philosopher comes to my mind with every interaction I have had with them: “you can’t learn that what you think you already know” or something to that degree. But I am going to start stealing Fox’s term and calling them Ostriches.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
This is near my exact experience with CMG/HCA grads. Thinking they know some thing, when in Reality they are a neophyte. I don’t blame them for thinking like that, you have made it this far so there is no way you don’t know what your doing…right?

The quote for some stoic philosopher comes to my mind with every interaction I have had with them: “you can’t learn that what you think you already know” or something to that degree. But I am going to start stealing Fox’s term and calling them Ostriches.

It's not theft, I brought the term here to catch on.

There are more medical schools now, but there are also a lot more kids applying.

I think we’re just lying to ourselves if we think we’re hot **** and the peak of Med school competitiveness just so happened to coincide with when we applied. I’m getting some real "Coach woulda put me in fourth quarter, we would've been state champions" delusional vibes from a lot of these posts.

Yeah that's not what I said.

Competitiveness likely peaked in the 80s/90s, was easier when I applied, and is easier now.

I have to guess that the term "ostrich" has to do with the traditional idea that an ostrich sticks it's head in the ground instead of facing problems. Otherwise, it's just confusing.

Don't be so ostriched.
You know better.

:)

• Haha
I'm aware of the general reputation HCA/CMG residencies have as being awful, corporate pervisions to the concept of clinical education that should be avoided at all cost. I'm aware that they are expanding by creating brand new residency programs or buying up previously independent programs or merging with university affiliated programs. I am not completely aware of the complexities of ED and GME management so I'm unsure how recent mergers or buyouts would affect the quality of education over the next 3-4 years. I'm thinking of the Detroit Medical Center- Sinai Grace and Detroit Receiving that seem to have good reputations but have been owned by Tenet for the past several years.

When searching for programs, should the HCA label on a program lead to immediately filling the row in red on my spreadsheet or are there any that are worth digging into further? Any of these CMG programs with redeemable qualities or minimal corporate influence despite the label?

Thanks for the input
Anyone who trains at a for profit hospital or medical school is compromised IMHO

I was told that I had to clean up my language

Half of my peer reviews have been for language (the other half have been BS for another reason).

Being told that **** is stifling. If you can't be yourself at work you will literally kill yourself.

My favorite was a medic that filed a complaint with my medical director, which is why I basically no longer speak to medics.

In that one, they were doing cpr for 90 minutes on a Gomer (90 minutes!). I walked into the room, checked a pulse, called it immediately, and told the staff to shoot the patient if he moves because that would mean he's a zombie.

Apparently the medics were not concerned about the apocalypse.

I was told specifically to "be respectful of the time those medics put into that patient," but my counter argument is this: no one asks me to respect homeless people punching a wall for three hours, why do I need to respect someone punching a cadaver? Both waste my time. One actually got paid to do it.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 7 users
Half of my peer reviews have been for language (the other half have been BS for another reason).

Being told that **** is stifling. If you can't be yourself at work you will literally kill yourself.

My favorite was a medic that filed a complaint with my medical director, which is why I basically no longer speak to medics.

In that one, they were doing cpr for 90 minutes on a Gomer (90 minutes!). I walked into the room, checked a pulse, called it immediately, and told the staff to shoot the patient if he moves because that would mean he's a zombie.

I was told specifically to "be respectful of the time those medics put into that patient," but my counter argument is this: no one asks me to respect homeless people punching a wall for three hours, why do I need to respect someone punching a cadaver? Both waste my time. One actually got paid to do it.

Right?!
Get the admins down here and have them actually spend some time with the ostriches and see how long it takes them to crack.

Listened to a podcast recently maybe stuff you should know and they talked about how the elite universities haven’t moved their class sizes even as demand and cost soar.
Freakonomics podcast.

I wanted to like the Stuff You Should Know podcast, but there was just too much fluff in the episodes dragging them out.

-End scene

Definitely not an EMTALA violation.

Members don't see this ad :)
We will not hire HCA/CMG grads and think this is a relatively common stance. If you cannot get in anywhere else, maybe consider it (but even then I personally would not do it).

That's funny **** right there. I'd love for you to be my partner. Literally stuff like this is the only way I make it through a shift.

We will not hire HCA/CMG grads and think this is a relatively common stance. If you cannot get in anywhere else, maybe consider it (but even then I personally would not do it).
Can we also refuse to hire board certified ed docs if they went to the wrong pac 10 school?
Asking for a friend. Lol

The FDNY medics love doing that **** and bring in at least one 80+ year old nursing home resident a week.

We'll receive the report and its often CPR for 40+ minutes PEA given epinephrine x 10 doses.

I had a recent case where the medics ran a code for an hour on the ambulance before they looked at the paperwork and figured out the patient was listed as do not resuscitate. At this point instead of giving them back to family members at home they decided to just transport anyway and literally showed up with a dead body and tried registering them here in the emergency department. It really sucked and not only did I have to deal with contacting family for someone who's not my patient but the death certification here in this state is a massive headache that can take hours.

DO school for the win! Prob a 3.2 after a decade of screwing around, 36 mcat though boomshakalaka. I didnt even try for MD, I knew I sucked.

Yeah, I didn't know what a DO was.
My own family care doc was an SGU grad, and I shadowed him for years. Just followed in the footsteps.

It. Was. AWESOME.

I only listen to a few I find interesting. Maybe 25%.

I had a recent case where the medics ran a code for an hour on the ambulance before they looked at the paperwork and figured out the patient was listed as do not resuscitate. At this point instead of giving them back to family members at home they decided to just transport anyway and literally showed up with a dead body and tried registering them here in the emergency department. It really sucked and not only did I have to deal with contacting family for someone who's not my patient but the death certification here in this state is a massive headache that can take hours.
People underestimate the value of achieving ROSC in the ED is obviously to reduce the amount of paperwork.

Reactions: 3 users
People underestimate the value of achieving ROSC in the ED is obviously to reduce the amount of paperwork.

I don't get it.
Someone codes in my ED, and we don't get ROSC... we...

nevermind. EMS reduces their paperwork. Got it.

The number of medical school grads is up 30+%

I don’t think I’m hot stuff cause I got into school before. Math is math though. And comparing the number of bachelors degrees handed out makes no sense. Plenty of southern New Hampshire university type online degrees To fluff that. Listened to a podcast recently maybe stuff you should know and they talked about how the elite universities haven’t moved their class sizes even as demand and cost soar.
more Jenny’s with Their sub community college standards degrees don’t count.
re carribean it’s a tough road to hoe for those who go that way. I’m not here to poop on them.
i will say and Ive Said it before barring a really special circumstance I’ll never had a hca residency grad as my partner as long as I get a say in hiring. Maybe I’m a d bag but that’s what it is. To me it shows such poor insight and decision making that it can’t ever be overcome (outside of a very special situation).

They could but they don't want to. Hurts their brand name.

Luxury clothing manufacturers would rather destroy its own merchandise than sell it at a steep discount.

Lamborghini and Ferrari could make more cars a year but they don't.

When you think about top universities as a luxury brand then their policies make a lot more sense.

We had a similar case where our medics were trying to revive a 80yo nursing home cadaver. This went on for 40+ minutes. Then the medics got stuck at a drawbridge so had time to look at the papers and realized the guy was DNR.

They requested permission to terminate which We granted. CPR stopped. They called time of death but one of the medics checked his pulse again just to be sure. Sure enough he had spontaneous ROSC.

I call it the Lazarus effect. Don’t touch dead bodies once they’ve been declared dead.

Only a med student, but dang so much hate for doctors graduating from HCA yet yall let NP solo the ED lol I guess NP is better than HCA doctor huh?

Only a med student, but dang so much hate for doctors graduating from HCA yet yall let NP solo the ED lol I guess NP is better than HCA doctor huh?
disapproval of thing A =/= approval of thing B

Also, who the hell is "yall"?

Reactions: 7 users

You ever look up the definition of a strawman?

Reactions: 4 users
I'm not quite certain what you were searching for that led you to the EM forums seeing as your post history seems confined to the various MD/DO/Caribbean med school forums and podiatry forums. For your own edification as you likely don't know the users here:

1: Essentially everyone here is frequently outspoken against NP solo practice in the ED. They are garbage.
2: Essentially everyone here is frequently outspoken against HCA EM residency programs. They are garbage.
3: It's spelled "y'all."

• Haha
Reactions: 10 users
NPs are not staffing an ED solo

I don’t know a single EM physician that wants APPs solo

HCA and CMG residencies are focused on their own profit, not education.

Unfortunately, ACGME must approve programs that meet the minimum requirements. HCA knows this and opens subpar programs.

A solution would be for ACGME to raise the standards incredibly high

NPs are not staffing an ED solo

I don’t know a single EM physician that wants APPs solo

HCA and CMG residencies are focused on their own profit, not education.

Unfortunately, ACGME must approve programs that meet the minimum requirements. HCA knows this and opens subpar programs.

A solution would be for ACGME to raise the standards incredibly high
Is that true? There’s no room for judgment when acgme approves a program, if they can check all the boxes then they are approved?

Is that true? There’s no room for judgment when acgme approves a program, if they can check all the boxes then they are approved?
Precisely. They set the standards. If you meet their minimum, you’re in. Otherwise they’d get sued for anti-trust.

The solution is to raise the minimums but a more challenging issue is that x number of intubations or “trauma resuscitations” does not make someone a good EM doctor.

To be adequately trained you need exposure to a broad range of presentations of a decently broad swath of medicine. For example okeefinokee swamp regional HCA hospital in dingleton Florida is surrounded by 6 subpar nursing homes. Their residents get their 120 required medical resuscitations, but they’re all just septic old people who get HCAs 30cc/kg saltwater bolus and the rest of the sepsis clicky boxes. You didn’t learn much there. They do an anesthesia rotation and you tube 100 healthy hip replacements in the OR. That is not the same as a major program and likely not sufficient for an EM doc.

You need to be good at bread and butter sepsis but also crashing GI bleeds, tamponade physiology, cardiogenic shock, massive toxic ingestion and a host of other atypical pathology that just may not be presenting to these small regional centers. Same with airway or any other procedure. Practicing in the OR is very different then tubing the crashing septic CHF LVAD patient who’s blood pressure is barely detectable with modern equipment.

Not EM, but I did an HCA residency in IM. Been an attending hospitalist for over a year now (at a non-HCA, non-CMG place).

I felt I was trained well and had faculty that cared about how we were doing and learning. Of course I know there is a stigma to coming from an HCA place, which made my initial job search harder, but I think I will be on to brighter places in the future.

I think it’s site-dependent, I’m sure there are many HCA sites that are dumpster fires.
I am a medical student affiliated with some HCA site locations. I agree-- the learning is completely attending dependent. There are certain attendings that I learned a lot from, and several that were clearly there just to get in and get out after they were done with patients.

I will say, it makes me sad to see that (HCA) residency programs are being trashed given there are certain attending and program directors that are incredibly passionate about teaching and dedicate their time to create amazing physicians.

With that said, HCA is for profit, and it's hard to separate from that. There are so many rules and regulations put in place just for them to cover themself and also make a net profit. It's pretty transparent. They are very good to their physicians, but I think they have to be given that their employee satisfaction has been pretty low (there are SEVERAL nurses I know that have left HCA because of things that they have seen that translated to mediocre patient care).

Long story short is that I know several HCA residents; some of them are very impressive and others are... well, they will be doctors one day and care for their patients. The program directors I know are very passionate and kind, dedicated to teaching... but ultimately, yes, HCA as a corporate for profit organization is a very limiting factor. I'm pretty sure they are eager to take on residencies primarily because of government stipend for becoming teaching facility, but that does not mean that there aren't dedicated program directors or attending.

I am a medical student affiliated with some HCA site locations. I agree-- the learning is completely attending dependent. There are certain attendings that I learned a lot from, and several that were clearly there just to get in and get out after they were done with patients.

I will say, it makes me sad to see that (HCA) residency programs are being trashed given there are certain attending and program directors that are incredibly passionate about teaching and dedicate their time to create amazing physicians.

With that said, HCA is for profit, and it's hard to separate from that. There are so many rules and regulations put in place just for them to cover themself and also make a net profit. It's pretty transparent. They are very good to their physicians, but I think they have to be given that their employee satisfaction has been pretty low (there are SEVERAL nurses I know that have left HCA because of things that they have seen that translated to mediocre patient care).

Long story short is that I know several HCA residents; some of them are very impressive and others are... well, they will be doctors one day and care for their patients. The program directors I know are very passionate and kind, dedicated to teaching... but ultimately, yes, HCA as a corporate for profit organization is a very limiting factor. I'm pretty sure they are eager to take on residencies primarily because of government stipend for becoming teaching facility, but that does not mean that there aren't dedicated program directors or attending.

Bruh.
BRUH.

You have no idea what you're talking about.

Right?! RIGHT!!?

It's like: I want to be a strongman, and compete in strongman competitions, but I don't like the idea of hitting the gym hard every day. I just want to go do it; I don't want to EARN it.

Similar situation with the "body positivity" ostriches. You want a beach bod? It takes work. You're not "fatphobic" if you want to better yourself.

America needs to get a grip.
This is... such a strange analogy to medical education. I just got done lifting weights, and I agree with fitness. But also, like, I applaud anybody who steps in the gym for the first time. You can be encouraging and also tell people they have to put the work in at the same time. There is a middle ground. With that said, there are many people who aren't great at procedures now, but have the knowledge and with practice would be great EM physicians. That doesn't mean they should just slip through the cracks, but encouraging them to put the practice in instead of shaming them is a weird analogy to "fat phobia"

Can you expand rather than "bruh" ing at me? I'm open to conversation.

I see you're new. Read anything on here about how HCA treats their physicians and then you'll wonder how in the hell you ever wrote what you wrote.

EDIT: I can't wait to see how many likes this post gets.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
I see you're new. Read anything on here about how HCA treats their physicians and then you'll wonder how in the hell you ever wrote what you wrote.
I see you're fluent in condescension.
Why re-read a thread when I know several HCA physicians on a personal level and have rotated through their facilities?

This is... such a strange analogy to medical education. I just got done lifting weights, and I agree with fitness. But also, like, I applaud anybody who steps in the gym for the first time. You can be encouraging and also tell people they have to put the work in at the same time. There is a middle ground. With that said, there are many people who aren't great at procedures now, but have the knowledge and with practice would be great EM physicians. That doesn't mean they should just slip through the cracks, but encouraging them to put the practice in instead of shaming them is a weird analogy to "fat phobia"
Some people don't want to put in the work, especially after being told that they don't pass muster. Instead, they make one excuse or another.

Why re-read a thread when I know several HCA physicians on a personal level and have rotated through their facilities?

Wait 'til you get to know me!

Because you see them thru your tourist eyes. You don't know what you're looking at, or looking for.

EDIT: Someone point him in the direction of the "tourist" analogy and we'll see if he listens.

I am sure this arrogance goes over well with residents and attendings.

I am sure this arrogance goes over well with residents and attendings.
Yeah, I call it like I see it. Not particularly intimidated by keyboard warriors who don't explain themselves and talk down to people.

Wait 'til you get to know me!

Because you see them thru your tourist eyes. You don't know what you're looking at, or looking for.

EDIT: Someone point him in the direction of the "tourist" analogy and we'll see if he listens.
"Wait til you get to know me" says the person who repeatedly "bruh" ed at me and then mocked me without explaining their difference in perspective. I hear what you're saying. I do agree that it's impossible to know what you don't know. I can also say from speaking to current physicians, there are individuals that are enjoying their time at the particular HCA locations I have rotated through. I also think they are very site dependent and have first hand seen policies and practices that I strongly disagree with. That doesn't mean that I don't respect the attending at those locations who take their time to teach and commit themself to the learning of the residents regardless.

"Wait til you get to know me" says the person who repeatedly "bruh" ed at me and then mocked me without explaining their difference in perspective. I hear what you're saying. I do agree that it's impossible to know what you don't know. I can also say from speaking to current physicians, there are individuals that are enjoying their time at the particular HCA locations I have rotated through. I also think they are very site dependent and have first hand seen policies and practices that I strongly disagree with. That doesn't mean that I don't respect the attending at those locations who take their time to teach and commit themself to the learning of the residents regardless.

I'm pointing you in the right direction.
Hey guys; GUYS ! - Anyone - ANYONE - on here think that HCA treats their physicians well? ANYONE ?