Residency Selection, Candidate Criteria

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jeff698

EM/EMS nerd
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
We frequently discuss the criteria that residency programs used to select students. In fact, its right up there in frequency with identifying the top program (either "mine" or "In-'n'-Out Burger") and Step I scores (either 'not important" or 260+).There have been several papers that have identified the factors that PDs actually use.

We also talk about what is important to us in picking a residency. There haven't been any papers about this...until now. Take a look at the brief report in the June '05 AEM: EM Residency Selection: Factors Influencing Candidate Decisions. St. Vincent's in Toledo mailed out a survey to all applicants they interviewed to identify those factors deemed 'very important' or 'important'.

As it turns, the criteria they describe are very similar to the ones we've identified here. The top 5 factors were (in order):

1) Friendliness
2) Environment
3) Interview Day
4) Location
5) Academics

Of note, the presence of a flight program was more important to male applicants.

Take care,
Jeff

Members don't see this ad.

I read this study and found it interesting, but basically only reiterates things already known.

On another note, one of our faculty members told me how he judges interviewees. I found it hilarious when he said he makes sure someone can pass the "Elevator Test" and the "Saturday Night Test" before he scores them highly on interview day.

The Saturday Night Test is can you trust the person to take care of sick people on a Saturday night when all heck is breaking loose. The Elevator Test is can you stand being trapped in an elevator for 4 hours with the person.

Considering I interviewed with him, I guess I passed both tests. (Whew!)

Jeff698 said:
We frequently discuss the criteria that residency programs used to select students. In fact, its right up there in frequency with identifying the top program (either "mine" or "In-'n'-Out Burger") and Step I scores (either 'not important" or 260+).There have been several papers that have identified the factors that PDs actually use.

We also talk about what is important to us in picking a residency. There haven't been any papers about this...until now. Take a look at the brief report in the June '05 AEM: EM Residency Selection: Factors Influencing Candidate Decisions. St. Vincent's in Toledo mailed out a survey to all applicants they interviewed to identify those factors deemed 'very important' or 'important'.

As it turns, the criteria they describe are very similar to the ones we've identified here. The top 5 factors were (in order):

1) Friendliness
2) Environment
3) Interview Day
4) Location
5) Academics

Of note, the presence of a flight program was more important to male applicants.

Take care,
Jeff

What page is this on? I couldn't find it in my Annals June 2005.

Q

Members don't see this ad :)
QuinnNSU said:
oh poo, i don't get that... yet, anyways (just signed up for SAEM cuz of the NYC convention).

Q
You're not missing much. I'm only a member because my program pays for membership. Otherwise, I don't plan on being a member if they ever stop paying or when I graduate.

Oops, I never thought about it but Academic EM and Annals do have the same abbreviations. How inconsiderate! I've always just called the ACEP one annals (or, on bad days, anals) and the SAEM one AEM.

In any case, its on page 559 of Academic EM.

Take care,
Jeff

And here I thought the Saturday Night test was "can I trust this person to make sure I get taken home safely on a drunken saturday night". :D

I wonder if location would be higher then number 4 on the list if it was compiled by a program outside of Toledo? Just a thought.....

drkp said:
I wonder if location would be higher then number 4 on the list if it was compiled by a program outside of Toledo? Just a thought.....

very interesting point....