Residency Switching - Just matched

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ShroedingersMatch

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all. I am a non-US IMG from one of the Carribean schools
Step 1 247
Step 2 251

So I was fortunate to have matched this past week in Anesthesia with a year of general surgery prelim. I applied to Surgery with anesthesia as a backup and was offered 4 Categorical Surgery interviews, and 4 Preliminary. Since matching I have been quite down about not getting into surgery and was wondering if anyone could shed some light on the possibility of switching into surgery after my first-year prelim. I had not anticipated feeling this way and truly believed I'd be happy in Anesthesia. Now I am worried I will not be eligible for a waiver from the NRMP to switch residencies. I know getting into surgery won't be any easier but should I be able to impress the PD at my prelim surgery year I was wondering if it would be at all possible to switch. Please let me know your thoughts and experience on the matter.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello all. I am a non-US IMG from one of the Carribean schools
Step 1 247
Step 2 251

So I was fortunate to have matched this past week in Anesthesia with a year of general surgery prelim. I applied to Surgery with anesthesia as a backup and was offered 4 Categorical Surgery interviews, and 4 Preliminary. Since matching I have been quite down about not getting into surgery and was wondering if anyone could shed some light on the possibility of switching into surgery after my first-year prelim. I had not anticipated feeling this way and truly believed I'd be happy in Anesthesia. Now I am worried I will not be eligible for a waiver from the NRMP to switch residencies. I know getting into surgery won't be any easier but should I be able to impress the PD at my prelim surgery year I was wondering if it would be at all possible to switch. Please let me know your thoughts and experience on the matter.

We had a resident switch from anesthesia to surgery after their intern year. It's possible. Don't count on it happening. I certainly would not give up your spot to try. If you prelim program wants to offer you a spot, great, but I wouldn't look elsewhere.

Reactions: 4 users