Residency Visas for International Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentaltea43

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know what type of visa is granted to residents (who are not US citizens or hold a green card) for the duration of their program?

Members don't see this ad.

Generally speaking, you would need an F1 visa. But, some few programs require J1 visas.

Reactions: 1 user
It will vary from program to program. From my understanding you can't really be a resident getting a stipend on a F1 unless you are doing the F1-OPT. Typically, at least in the OMFS world, people are on a J1 or TN (if Canadian).

Members don't see this ad :)
I didn't think it would be F1 because of the stipend as well. I was wondering whether it would be the TN or H1-B visa.

I didn't think it would be F1 because of the stipend as well. I was wondering whether it would be the TN or H1-B visa.
I'm on an F-1 visa and will be receiving a stipend. Studying perio.

Reactions: 1 users
iam an international student in the US doing my 3rd year MD in an US medical school. I have got step1 score of 251. Iam worried about my chances of getting into speciality residency programs as iam not a green card holder or an US citizen. Do residency programs sponsor and are they open to international students graduating from US med schools?

iam an international student in the US doing my 3rd year MD in an US medical school. I have got step1 score of 251. Iam worried about my chances of getting into speciality residency programs as iam not a green card holder or an US citizen. Do residency programs sponsor and are they open to international students graduating from US med schools?

You would probably get an F1 or J1 or TN visa, I know some friends are international and all started their medical residencies in the states this year.

look up the specialty program requirements and see if they are willing to accept international students. If they are they will sponsor you to receive an F1 or J1 visa, appropriate student visa.

look up the specialty program requirements and see if they are willing to accept international students. If they are they will sponsor you to receive an F1 or J1 visa, appropriate student visa.
Thanks!!!

J1's are still being given out mate, and H1b's although this was a dental residency in NYC. Would depend on the program; I am on an H1b that was recently extended as well.

J1's are still being given out mate, and H1b's although this was a dental residency in NYC. Would depend on the program; I am on an H1b that was recently extended as well.
So you are in dental. I want to get into general surgery. What do you feel? Will I be getting H1B?

I am an international student currently in residency on an F1 and we receive a stipend. We have been provided with Teaching Assistant credentials to allow us to get the stipend and get a SSN.

Reactions: 1 user