Residency vs. 3rd year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drwatson

Stern. Stern but fair.
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, so I'm a third year med student and there is one thing (well many things but lets start at the begining) that is bothering me. I'm thinking of doing FM (obviously) but one of the most frustrating things about third year is that I'm switching specialities every month.

It seems like it takes me 2 weeks to figure out what up, then just as soon as I'm rocking and rolling BANG onto the next rotation where I have to start all over again from zero. I get the feeling that doing that for 3 years would put me in a constant state of feeling dumb all the time. (or at least 1/2 the time)

Anyone else feel the same? Can someone correct me on this? Does this somehow change?

Members don't see this ad.

Not to worry. Being a resident is nothing like being a third-year medical student. There's a lot to be said for cumulative experience.

Not to worry. Being a resident is nothing like being a third-year medical student. There's a lot to be said for cumulative experience.

Good to know since I will be starting my family medicine residency in July....