residency - waiting game

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jani

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello there,

I am so nervous, waiting for the residency outcome, probably because I had too few to rank.

Anyhow, just 1 week before the deadline( 17 Feb) I phoned one PD( after sending a fax in the morning) who interviewed me and she implied that I will get a spot at their place. Do I trust this completely, or do I prepare for the scramble. It is killing time actually..

Members don't see this ad.

What specialty and how many did you rank? This waiting game is killing me too! I keep thinking about matching at my bottom ranked programs and telling myself that I'd be happy there. But I guess I would. Good luck

you should prepare for the scramle (print out app, checkout some programs that didn't fill in recent years) just to be on the safe side. It shouldn't tak that much time and besides: better safe than sorry (having to do all this while freaking out)

Good luck

IM, 3 programs, I guess I was stupidly over confident. By the way I am a FMG trained in Australia.

The question I have is, is a PD going to give a false statement, the way she said it was almost like 100 % positive, she said she was not allowed to say it really to me at that stage, do you think I could make a brief visit to the place to get some assurance or will it appear too much over the top.

IMHO a visit at this point is kinda over the top. The chips have already landed, the cookie has already crumbled, the fat lady has already sung....you get the point. There is nothing you can do about it now! Just chill out man. Worst case..you dont match. SO what. There will be plenty of IM spots for you to scramble into.

I agree with Doc Strange. However, if they wanted you that badly as an IMG they could have offered you a spot outside the match so I would guess all bets are off.

Originally posted by huktonfonix
I agree with Doc Strange. However, if they wanted you that badly as an IMG they could have offered you a spot outside the match so I would guess all bets are off.

well, not necessarily. maybe the PD didn't have a clear picture of his/her rank list until the beginning of february, after interviews had ended. correct me if i'm wrong, but the PD could only have offered the pre-match position before feb 1. i think jan 31st was the deadline to submit to NMRP how many positions you have available in your program for the match.

anyhow, the rank lists on both sides are all in and there's no point in visiting the program since the lists can no longer be changed. as many of us have read on this board, PDs (and applicants) can say anything but do not have to follow what they say. i think that most people are genuine but i acknowledge that everyone is looking out for her/his best interests when dealing with each other.

it's only another 15 days to find out IF we matched. hang in there. being the eternal optimist, i like to think that everything works out in the end. :) good luck!

PD Lady offered me a prematch contract at the time of interview ( in Nov) and apparantly has given away quite a lot of spots with only a fewremaining.

thanks to you all and GOD bless all of us.