Residency with Low GPA: Would perceptorship help?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nanonot

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone!
I hold a Bachelors in Dentistry, 10 years of experience, and my undergrad GPA is low (percentage-wise it's 72%, not sure how ECE would translate it to yet). I am very interested in a residency, but I believe my low GPA would kill my chances. Would a preceptorship in the same specialty I am going to apply for a residency in improve my chances? The preceptorship would run all my savings dry, so I would like to know if I should go this route or if I would be playing roulette...

Members don't see this ad.

Save your money. To fix low GPA problem you need to enroll into a program and get high GPA in it to show your ability to successfully complete something. Most of the time people enroll into masters programs.
Generally speaking, residencies are highly competitive. You have better chances in a regular IDP program

Reactions: 3 users
Hello I have question if you will help me . With low gpa is it best to do masters or 1 year non accredited dental programs ?

Members don't see this ad :)
What type of masters could a foreign trained dentist apply?

Hello everyone!
I hold a Bachelors in Dentistry, 10 years of experience, and my undergrad GPA is low (percentage-wise it's 72%, not sure how ECE would translate it to yet). I am very interested in a residency, but I believe my low GPA would kill my chances. Would a preceptorship in the same specialty I am going to apply for a residency in improve my chances? The preceptorship would run all my savings dry, so I would like to know if I should go this route or if I would be playing roulette...
Spend ur money in a masters, Preceptorships will not guarantee anything for u. Rather improve ur gpa

So Preceptorship don't work towards improving GPA? just as CV experience?

Hello everyone!
Having done Masters and now in a residency program. I suggest preceptorship/fellowship/internship if you plan on applying for residency.

Masters do not help you get in touch and have direct research experience in the specialization you are looking at. Preceptorship/fellowship/internship: You take classes with residents, are more involved in the department, make connections. Of course it does not guarantee a match but definitely increases your chances.