Residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ime

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What do you all think? Is it worth it? How necessary is it in order to get a good job? I think it's better to get out there working?

Members don't see this ad.

It gives you more specialization in more advance cases that most primary care doctors don't normally encounter. Sometimes that extra challenge, enrichment, confidence gives it some personal value of worth. It won't necessarily translate into monetary value of worth.

Some jobs require residency as a pre-requisite. Is it necessary in order to get a good job? Well, it makes you more desirable as an applicant. Everything is about desirability it seems for humans. Imagine doing a residency makes you more desirable by training you and giving you an atheletic, toned, sexy body. And the better jobs out there are sexy potential mates that you want to match with. While it is not an impossibility, and sometimes it relies on luck, competition based on geography, or other factors, if you want a sexy potential mate to notice you or extend an invitation, you better be pretty competitive and desirable yourself.

Sometimes you are the settle-er and they are the reach-er. Sometims you are the reach-er and they are the settle-er. Sometimes you are the perfect match for each other despite how desirable any of you are. But when push comes to shove, the more desirable you are, the more chance you have landing a hot babe.

And let's say you don't necessarily land that super job/babe (as what happens in life) that pays a ton more, at least you got training that gave you a hot, confident "body" that you can flaunt and be content with.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I have a question dealing with residencies.
Other than giving you an edge when it comes to experience, is there a pay out difference in the long run?
I know this is incomparable but say like a general internist vs an gastroenterologist