residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

oncogene

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Can any of you give any info on the more well known residencies in podiatry. I know that this is mainly a personal choice but there has to be a few that are sought after in general. I would like to start reading up on these. Also any insight into any of the surgical programs would be appreciated. Dr. Rogers, you seem to be very knowledgable about podiatry in general, what do you think? What residencies are known for producing the best surgeons.

On a side note I was able to observe surgery today and was completely blown away. It was an exploratory procedure on the rear foot. They found that the patient had three tears in two ligaments. The cheif resident preformed the procedure. I truly am psyched after seeing that. Podiatrist definatley don't get enough credit for what they do! Thanks guys I look forward to your response.

Members don't see this ad.

West penn

NorthLake

Yale

There are other great programs out there but these are typically heard of as the top 3.

I wondered about the same question myself. Good entry

Members don't see this ad :)
oncogene said:
Can any of you give any info on the more well known residencies in podiatry.

West Penn
North Virginia
Seattle
U of Tex San Antonio (for diabetes)
Beth Israel Deaconess Boston (for diabetes)

Many other lesser known, but "sleeper" programs providing great training
Louisville
U of Evansville Indiana
U of FL Jacksonville
Phoenix VA

Best thing to do is to look for authors you admire or read about. See where they practice or if they're affiliated with any residencies. Read everything they wrote before you extern there. They generally write about what they know, so common sense dictates that if you read their articles --- you know everything they do, right?? That way, you're prepared for any "pimp questions" they may throw at you.

LCR

diabeticfootdr said:
West Penn
North Virginia
Seattle

Many other lesser known, but "sleeper" programs providing great training
Louisville
U of Evansville Indiana
U of FL Jacksonville
Phoenix VA

Best thing to do is to look for authors you admire or read about. See where they practice or if they're affiliated with any residencies. Read everything they wrote before you extern there. They generally write about what they know, so common sense dictates that if you read their articles --- you know everything they do, right?? That way, you're prepared for any "pimp questions" they may throw at you.

LCR

First of all I would like to thank you for your time and info.

What journals or reading would you recommend to someone just starting to get into all of this? I tried to find japma at my schools library but they don,t have it and the subscription for it is pretty expensive.

Also , What schools would you say are better in terms of residency placement? I was accepted to the Arizona school for this year but decided to learn a little more about podiatry first. Thasnks for your input.

oncogene

oncogene said:
What journals or reading would you recommend to someone just starting to get into all of this? oncogene

J of Foot and Ankle Surgery is the best (most scientific) podiatry journal
JAPMA is alright

There aren't really any other scientific DPM journals.

But definately read:
Foot and Ankle International (MD foot/ankle ortho journal)
Clinics in Pod Med and Surg
Diabetes Care
J Bone and Joint Surg

Those are good as well.

I think all schools give you an equal shot at residency. It's much more of a personal decision on the part of the residency directors.

Impress them on your externships.

LCR

diabeticfootdr said:
West Penn
North Virginia
Seattle
LCR

Hey isn't Beh Israel the teaching hospital for Harvard Med School?

what about st.barnabas hosp., bronx, NY?

As mentioned in the previous posts, there are many residency programs that have different characteristics and you need to choose a program that would fit your needs. Here are some of the top podiatric surgical residency programs:

Well known Podiatric Surgical Residency Programs (Both Forefoot and Rearfoot training)

Northern Virginia (INOVA Fairfax)
West Penn
Northlake (Tucker)
St Vincent Charity in Cleveland, OH (unfortunately, Dr. Gerard Yu just passed away)
Seattle (Swedish Medical Center)
Univ of Pennsylvania - Presbyterian Medical Center
DVA - Yale

Lesser known Podiatric Surgical Residency Programs (Great forefoot and rearfoot training)
St. John North Shores
Grant Medical Center
Scripps Mercy
Kaiser Hayward
Kaiser Oakland
Plantation
Gundersen Lutheran
Morristown

Programs with Great Diabetic Training (you should do your research if you want a variety of rearfoot procedures since a few of these programs may not or may not offer a variety of rearfoot procedures)
Beth Israel Deaconess
Univ of Texas at San Antonio
Washington Hospital (Washington DC)
DVA - Lebanon

oncogene said:
Can any of you give any info on the more well known residencies in podiatry.

ANother Harvard Teaching hospital that offers a podiatric surgical residency program, besides Mass General and Beth Israel Deaconess, is Cambridge Health Alliance.

diabeticfootdr said:
One of them. Mass General is the other.

LCR