Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

molldoll2010dpm

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know what the top surgical residency is for Podiatrists?

Members don't see this ad.

molldoll2010dpm said:

It all depends on what you want to get into. Some programs are better for some specialities than others. Most would agree the top would be Yale and Inova for east coast. But I have no passion to move that far away from the midwest. Current I am shadowing Dr. Cardarella at Gunderson Luther in La Crosse and will be aiming for that externship and residency. However, that is convenient for me (close to home) and may not be the best choice for others on the SDN.

molldoll2010dpm said:

It is hard to rank Podiatric Surgical residency program because all residency programs have their pros and cons. Many residency programs also have their emphasis, such as diabetic limb salvage, wound care, limb deformity correction, trauma, etc... Just because a program is supposedly the "best" in the country, it does not mean that program is the best for everyone. When selecting a residency program, one need to find a program that best meet the person's needs and would offer the best environment for the person to train in.

Some of the more "prominent" Podiatric Surgical Residency Program in the country include:

Northern Virginia (INOVA)
Western Pennsylvania Medical Center
Northwest Podiatric Surgical (Seattle / Swedish Medical Center)
Tucker (Northlake in Georgia)
Presbyterian Medical Center

The above list are what most Podiatrists would consider to be the "traditionally" top programs in the country. The other traditionally top program that I did not include is Dr. Gerard Yu's program in Cleveland. I did not include it because I am not sure what is the status of the program these days. Besides these programs, there are many other excellent programs in the country.

Thanks for the info!!! I'm actually thinking about Chicago, Miami, Orlando, San Diego, or some other residency that's warm so I can take three years off from winter. Even though I love chicago dearly. I guess we'll see how well I match up!!!!