Resident Friendly Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PassGasNow

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I started medical school after another career, am a bit older than most, and have a wife and 3 children. I've done reasonably well during school and should match high, but I prefer a resident friendly program to have some family time and I don't handle the long hours as well as I use to. Does anybody have information on some of the less strenuous programs? (ie, programs such as going home at a nice hour, light call, night float, etc) Any help is greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

PassGasNow said:
Hi, I started medical school after another career, am a bit older than most, and have a wife and 3 children. I've done reasonably well during school and should match high, but I prefer a resident friendly program to have some family time and I don't handle the long hours as well as I use to. Does anybody have information on some of the less strenuous programs? (ie, programs such as going home at a nice hour, light call, night float, etc) Any help is greatly appreciated.

I, too am interested in this. People have told me UCONN, DREXEL, and Mercy Pittsburgh/U Pitt are like this, but I'm not sure.

I just submitted my application to 20+ gas progs, and let's see what happens!

What about UWashington? It's gonna be one of my first choices (mostly due to location, but it does have a great rep), but I've heard the atmosphere sucks.
Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
University of Illinois has tons of happy residents if you are interested in the Chicago route.

U Iowa seemed a happy bunch as well.

university of wisconsin in madison is known for its resident-friendly program. i'm currently on rotation here (my home program) and the residents take call only twice a month. everyone here is extremely happy, and the camaraderie between residents and attendings is impressive. plus, free donuts on wednesday and friday mornings, and free coffee ALWAYS! totally jacking up my caffeine habit..

All the Wake Forest residents are happy. The first year in the categorical route SUX though. But PGY-2 on are apparently sweet.

kid korea said:
university of wisconsin in madison is known for its resident-friendly program. i'm currently on rotation here (my home program) and the residents take call only twice a month. everyone here is extremely happy, and the camaraderie between residents and attendings is impressive. plus, free donuts on wednesday and friday mornings, and free coffee ALWAYS! totally jacking up my caffeine habit..

For those of you who might know, is this the program that former UAB chairman David Chestnut moved to?

UTSouthwestern said:
For those of you who might know, is this the program that former UAB chairman David Chestnut moved to?

David H. Chestnut is listed in our (UW) faculty directory as a visiting professor, but his position is of Director of Medical Education at Gundersen Lutheran in La Crosse. Is it the same guy? I have no idea. As far as I've noticed, he doesn't work in Madison.

Kid,
can u quantify more the daily work hours and such at UW-mad? Do much regional? How many months of SICU do you do over 4 years? Have you worked with Head (cardiac anesthesia) yet? I worked with her last year at my program- she's great!

DrDre' said:
Kid,
can u quantify more the daily work hours and such at UW-mad? Do much regional? How many months of SICU do you do over 4 years? Have you worked with Head (cardiac anesthesia) yet? I worked with her last year at my program- she's great!

ok, well as a disclaimer, i'm an MS4 currently on rotation with the anesthesia department, so i know some info, but not ALL of the details.

cases usually start @ 7:30am (wednesdays start at 8:30am because the residents have 7am lectures), most residents get in 6:15-6:30am to start setting up the room, get IVs started, etc. it's rare to have any cases start after 3 or 4pm, unless you're on call. preop after your cases, although some of the faculty will give you a 15 minute or so afternoon break to preop, which is nice. always get a morning and lunch break. and like i said, free coffee in all the break rooms!

residents take call twice a month. there's also a third call which stays untill 6-8pm, depending on how long the case is. i took a third call the other day and was done by 7pm. if you are overnight call, you get the next day off.

residents do a month of ICU in each of CA-1 and CA-2 years. there's one month of regional in CA-2. i'm sure there's opportunities to do more if you want. they also do a month of OB down at northwestern, i believe that's during CA-2.

i have NOT worked with dr. head yet. haven't done a whole lot of cardiac cases as a student - the scheduling seems to be shuffling most of the neuro stuff my way..

Thx KK,
Appreciate the info. UW-Mad sounds like a great program. Do you want to stay or are you itching to leave?

DrDre' said:
Thx KK,
Appreciate the info. UW-Mad sounds like a great program. Do you want to stay or are you itching to leave?

well.. both. i went to undergrad in madison and am basically a wisconsin lifer, so i AM itching to get out. at the same time, the program is so damn attractive and so kind to residents... its tough. i'll probably rank other programs higher simply based on location.. but i have a feeling i'll still rank madison fairly high, due to how friendly it is.

madison is a great town to live in. and i love it. just feel like i need to get out and explore other cities before i have a family and grow roots.

So I've hear from an inside source that Mercy Hospital of Pittsburgh's program might be on the brink of probation. I know they have gotten weaker over the years and I don't wanna even apply if this is the case. Anyone know about this?

Members don't see this ad :)
livewires said:
So I've hear from an inside source that Mercy Hospital of Pittsburgh's program might be on the brink of probation. I know they have gotten weaker over the years and I don't wanna even apply if this is the case. Anyone know about this?

From what I understand, the only program in town is UPMC. Great program at UPMC! Family/resident friendly. Call 3-4x per month, go in at 3 PM and out at 7 AM. Moonlighting. Family health insurance is covered by the program. Outstanding educators and amazing cases.

Drexel is a small program- 8 residents per year. Very strong clinical care and lots of TEACHING. Everyone (residents to attendings) is very happy. Downside: not much research, or at least you have to look for it.

Does any body has any info about the OHSU and U of UTAH program?

PassGasNow said:

I had a co-resident just like you.....the other 5 of us hated him.

livewires said:

Yeah. . .and Mercy is NOT the same program as Pitt--two COMPLETELY different hospital systems. Mercy-Pittsburgh/UPitt is like saying GBMC/Hopkins. Just thought i'd clear that up.

Idon'tknow?? said:
Does UPMC allow its residents to moonlight for extra money?

They do but you have to meet certain qualification to do it...score above the 50th-%ile on the most recent exam, at least 80% attendance to lectures.

kidmd44 said:
From what I understand, the only program in town is UPMC. Mercy is less prestigious and smaller. Great program at UPMC! Family/resident friendly. Call 3-4x per month, go in at 3 PM and out at 7 AM. Moonlighting. Family health insurance is covered by the program. Outstanding educators and amazing cases.

Call is 3-4/month for CA-1s. CA-2/3 has been about 5-6/month so far this year.

militarymd said:

Hey Military Jerk why are you on this BB?
It is obviously NOT to help these students looking for answers.

Not everyone is like you and people have different needs. If you have nothing positive to add to the discussion than do the polite thing and say nothing.

adleyinga said:

Not everyone is like you and people have different needs. If you have nothing positive to add to the discussion than do the polite thing and say nothing.

My, my...name calling....I have never sunk to that level....except against detailers in the Navy.

I think letting someone know that starting a residency with that attitude can and will have your co-residents hating your guts IS something positive to add to a discussion.

But I guess you must know better....You've obviously done this longer than I have, and ran a residency longer than I have, etc. etc. etc.

adleyinga said:

I'd rather have a d i c k like mil with me in the trenches during residency, than someone who wants to go home early and plant a row of pansies. Same goes for when I finish and get into practice. JMHO :D

adleyinga said:

Military has been a great resource to most of us students and residents on the forum. As one of the few attendings who posts here, you should appreciate the advice and perspective he offers.

militarymd said:

Put him in an EAB, tape him with EB Red or EB Green, hang him between the main engines upside down and start asking qual questions. If he gets them right plug him into an EAB manifold, if he doesn't, then the watch him squirm. :eek: :eek:

The United States Navy Prohibits all forms of Hazing as do Residency Programs!

me454555 said:
Military has been a great resource to most of us students and residents on the forum. As one of the few attendings who posts here, you should appreciate the advice and perspective he offers.

Well Maybe I have only seen the topics he has sore points about and must vent.

Okay- I will hold judgement until I have read more of what he posts.
Since I deal with med students on a regular basis and encounter the"life style" issue many times his approach isn't helpful-in my humble opinion.

adleyinga said:
Well Maybe I have only seen the topics he has sore points about and must vent.

Okay- I will hold judgement until I have read more of what he posts.
Since I deal with med students on a regular basis and encounter the"life style" issue many times his approach isn't helpful-in my humble opinion.

**** Humble kick his ass. Anyone in my program hates me they can leave or address the issue to mutual satisfaction. Just cuase MilMD is beyond training doesn't mean squat. Plenty of ex-squids are dinguses and he might be one in this instance even if he has solid points on other topics.

Freaking jackass if you ask me. In training or practice if a group can't work out there differences in a professional mutually beneficial way then the TEAM is not working. Any military person should understand the importance of making the team work.

Medical Corps isn't really a part of the Navy anyway, but I would expect an intelligent person from any branch of any service to embrace the concept of making the team function and there is no room for bull**** feelings like "We hated him"

Stand Down Mil you are out of line and I think you're full of **** on this topic. If you can't handle a married guy with a family looking to maximize his home time, then how do you handle important issues?

And for you guys thinking Mil's attitude is what you would ebrace in traiing or in practice, then you're young, dumb, and full of ***. Pull your heads out of your asses and realize that being home with the Wife, or Kids, or Girlfriend, or whatever, wherever is better then being at work.

You need to learn and work when at work, but get on with your life when the Whistle Blows. Fred Flinstone knows the way to the parking lot, because he is following me!

Aw geesh. Here we go again. :rolleyes:

Anyway...where did you hear that Mercy was on the brink of probation? I know they have their review coming up next month. They have requested two more positions per year. Hadn't heard any rumors about probation though? Interesting rumor...

Keep in mind that Mercy and UPMC are def. two different programs, one is a HUGE university hospital with millions and millions of residents and attendings, :laugh: and one is a community hospital with three positions per year. So it really depends on what you want. But Mercy is VERY resident friendly. Call schedule is awesome, if you come in on a call day from 7am-11am you get paid $50/hr ("moonlighting" they call it) otherwise you come in at 11am. It seemed very sweet when I rotated there, and all the residents were happy, from my perspective anyway.

I certainly understand building a team.....I was the Co-OR director at my last duty station of 5 years.

I am currently OR director where I work now.

And a team is only as strong as its weakest link....to quote a cliche.

You know what that weakest link always is in the ORs that I have worked in......the guy or gal who has "lifestyle" in their minds when they picked anesthesia.

I'm just pointing out an observation.

Every OR is a business.....where the anesthesia department provides a service....that is needed 24 hours a day/ 7 days a week....with exceptions like surgery centers.

So who's going to cover those hours before 7 am and 3 pm??? The lifestylers start having attitude problems outside of those hours.....simple observation.

kid korea said:
David H. Chestnut is listed in our (UW) faculty directory as a visiting professor, but his position is of Director of Medical Education at Gundersen Lutheran in La Crosse. Is it the same guy? I have no idea. As far as I've noticed, he doesn't work in Madison.

Yes.

(An-young!)

Monitor said:
**** Humble kick his ass. Anyone in my program hates me they can leave or address the issue to mutual satisfaction. Just cuase MilMD is beyond training doesn't mean squat. Plenty of ex-squids are dinguses and he might be one in this instance even if he has solid points on other topics.

Freaking jackass if you ask me. In training or practice if a group can't work out there differences in a professional mutually beneficial way then the TEAM is not working. Any military person should understand the importance of making the team work.

Medical Corps isn't really a part of the Navy anyway, but I would expect an intelligent person from any branch of any service to embrace the concept of making the team function and there is no room for bull**** feelings like "We hated him"

Stand Down Mil you are out of line and I think you're full of **** on this topic. If you can't handle a married guy with a family looking to maximize his home time, then how do you handle important issues?

And for you guys thinking Mil's attitude is what you would ebrace in traiing or in practice, then you're young, dumb, and full of ***. Pull your heads out of your asses and realize that being home with the Wife, or Kids, or Girlfriend, or whatever, wherever is better then being at work.

You need to learn and work when at work, but get on with your life when the Whistle Blows. Fred Flinstone knows the way to the parking lot, because he is following me!

WTF are you blabbering about man.

Christ.

MMD may not be the most heartwarming of posters but c'mon the guy is friggen rock solid.

Thats two ignores in one day.

VentdependenT said:

Christ.

MMD may not be the most heartwarming of posters but c'mon the guy is friggen rock solid.

Blabber my right nut cronie :mad:

Anyone running any organization that claims to hate people for their choice in picking family over working longer hours is a disaster or one in the progress of developing. You missed the boat MMD. You think that attitude towards co-workers or employees doesn't show or doesn't set the stage for a poor working environment, then you're in no way qualified to run anything.

Business my ass, you don’t treat people with respect and work things out to the mutual benefit of everyone and you'll be filling shifts yourself, because no one will work for you or with you.

This ain't the Marines and it ain't the 1930's. You think you're in charge? Hah, people who run things are there by default quite often, because everyone with any commonsense is home with their families. So, go for another spin on that crotch rocket Captain Jackass and slide down the pavement again. You left some of you sensibilities on the blacktop last time you crashed.

VentdependenT said:

Christ.

Vent,

I will add someone else to my list.

cheers.