Resident Medical Student Mentorship Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drusso

Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
Reaction score
This program was created to give medical students easy access to information regarding the specialty of physical medicine and rehabilitation (PM&R), AAPM&R, residency programs and the application process. The program was designed to facilitate communication between current PM&R residents and their future peers.

AAPM&R Medical Student Mentorship Program

Members don't see this ad.

Do you know which PMR residencies are DO friendly and which are not. Specifically, I am looking at southern cal (UCLA and UCI), but I my also be interested in no cal (Davis and Stanford) and U of W in Seattle? I appreciate any one's input...

You don't have to worry about PM&R programs being DO-unfriendly. PM&R are very welcome to DOs. Emory is the only program that may have poor DO representation.

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks for your reply, I pretty much figured PMR would welcome DO's...seems natural. However, I wondered if there was one dominating prefrence at any of the West coast spots. It appears everyone on the site here is east coast? Strange....

The U of Washington seems to stand out from the rest of the west coast. The one downside of this program is that it's inpatient heavy. I've heard good things about Stanford. UC Davis is very strong on outpatient musculoskeletal, which is what most of us want to do nowadays. Residency applicants have said several times that UCLA's program is very cush, if you like very cush. Their residents seem to brag about that.

I think that the reason why you hear so little about the West Coast is that there are very few spots available at each program compared to the East.

Originally posted by Idon'tknow??
I was wondering why you say Emory may not be DO friendly?

I don't want to start a flame but I'm not saying that Emory may not be DO friendly. I wouldn't know that since I didn't interview there. It is that when I was applying to PM&R programs, I checked Emory's website of their 2001-2002 group of residents (obviously out of date) (http://www.emory.edu/WHSC/MED/REHAB/residency/residentsandattendings.htm), and I only noticed 1 D.O. in the program. This is not to say that they don't like taking DOs but there is possibly very little or none of them, currently.

To make things clear, I should have said that from I've seen thus far, Emory may one program that might hardly have a D.O. resident currently in their program. Altogether, I don't think there is DO discrimination among PM&R programs and it is the last thing you should worry about in this specialty.

so, do you apply to both an intership and pg-2 at the same time during your MSIV?

yes - and some programs like Baylor, RIC, UCDavis, and UPenn have categorical positions or prelim spots reserved for PM&R residents.

I thought RIC's categorical position was the best integrated with the PM&R residency. (3mo of PM&R during PGY1, 3mo of IM during PGY2)

UPenn just started theirs and they are ONLY offering PGY1 spots this year. I think there's a thread about this somewhere on this website. (If you are a DO student, I would definitely read this thread.)

Baylor's was just a prelim year position reserved for PM&R residents.

I don't know much about UCDavis since I cancelled my interview there.

BUT in general, you apply to both PGY1 and PGY2 positions your MSIV year. (I applied to both prelim and transitional, and categorical). So LOTS of interviews. Some of the more cush transitional and prelim spots tend to be more competitive b/c you are competing with rads, anesthesia, derm, opthal, etc. Obviously, we PM&R folks have the best personality out of those fields. :laugh: just kidding.

hope this helps

if you dont mind me asking... can you give any input on UC Davis' program. I was thinknig about doing an elective there next year. I am a DO student however, I am hoping to be on the West coast for my residency. thanks

I visited there and really liked the people. I heard that it is REALLY cush there - almost too cush. They are strong at out-patient and interventional aspects of PM&R. Their strong point is their affiliation with Shriners Pediatrics Hospital for Peds Rehab. Sacramento was nice but I"m sure you know more about it than I do. Honestly, I cancelled my interview because my interview cost was building up and my schedule was getting tight. If you are interested in North California, definitely would rotate there or Stanford. I was actually very impressed by Stanford's program. They do have a stronger focus on inpatient rehab though.

I guess it depends on what you want to do after residency. Sorry I can't be of much help in terms of info about UCDavis. Maybe you can try to get in touch with a resident there or call the program to arrange a visit. They were very amicable about doing things like that. Pat Settje was WONDERFUL. and she has been there a long time.

re: UCDavis.

I interviewed at Davis' PMR program, and it's definitely one of the more cush PMR programs, in terms of workload and vacation (25 working days, almost 5 weeks off per year!).

However, it is not as strong (reputation-wise) as other programs like an RIC, Kessler, Baylor, UW. Davis *is* strong, though, in neuromuscular research and treatment, as well as peds (the Shriner's Hospital is an amazing facility).

There are benefits to living in beautiful NoCal, too. However, if you're a single, fun-loving person, Sacramento might not be the best place for you (cow country?). Not much to do, I've heard.

Hope this helps!

Yeah Davis is in the middle of farm lands... but I think I would rather be in farm country in california that in anyother state. Sac/SF aren't too far. Its interesting alot of people seem to think Ca resisidency are "cush", I have heard the same same about UCLA however at UCLA they also work at some great facilities. I am from so.cal so getting back in cal is definately my priority (wouldn't mind seattle either)... the Loma Linda folks just didn't seem friendly at all. I contacted them about doing a rotation and I found them very unfriendly & not helpful at all. (a big turn off- aren't supposed to be interested in future candidates/ which is not understandable since they are even ranked that high) If this is an extension of their program, I don't think I want to apply. I put more effort into programs that are more appealing. They too are in the valley (middle of no-were)... east LA / san bern. with tons of smog and summer heat.

I am planing on apply to all the west coast spots (minus loma linda) Irvine/ UCLA folks seem to love it. I don't know much about U of W, (I hear that its majority of in-patient work). Stanford seems great as well, however I dont know what my chances are of getting in there. (as an avg DO student) If any one has input on any west coast programs, I would love to hear it. Thanks (in advance) to everyone for their input, it is appreciated when trying to figure out which programs are appealing.

Well, out of all the Cali programs, Stanford is probably the least cush. They actually go to the actue SCI admissions with the neurosurgeons at Valley. And they work fairly hard from what the residents told me. I have also heard that they are not as DO friendly. However, when I interviewed, there were at least 3-4 DO students out of about 10 interviewees. (PCOM, NOVA, etc.) I think many of the interviewees rotated there.

My advice for rotations probably would be to do them at programs which would be more of a "reach" for you. Most programs guarantee interviews if you rotate there. Plus, you may be able to get a good letter out of them.

Also, I don't know if you read it already but there is a thread about interviews at programs and there's a couple west coast programs reviewed on it.

Wow, i haven't written a thread on this site since the first year of medical school. Joseppi, you have some of the exact same questions that I was asking last year when I was applying to programs. It is true what the other posters were saying, about West Coast programs being relatively new. UW is supposedly "the best" program on the West Coast but they are more heavily involved in research and academics. One of my friends ranked them #1 (he matched at Stanford) and the other ranked them very low (she is going to the East Coast). I was not offered an interview there so I can't comment on them from personal experience.

Loma Linda appears to prefer students from their medical school. My friend is a resident at UCLA and says their program is in flux because their program director is retiring. Lots of students from my school ended up matching at LLU for medicine/FP/peds but had problems arranging rotations there because for some reason they don't like DO students doing sub-Is there but do offer them interviews.

The only programs that I had personal experience with were Stanford and UCLA/VA Health System. I did a sub-I at Rancho Los Amigos as a 3rd year and was offered an interview at UCLA (my last interview). I knew several of the PGY-2s at UCLA. Overall, they are a very intelligent group and know have to have fun (they do a lot of social stuff with each other). They don't seem overworked to me, I don't know if the workload is lighter or if they are super intelligent and very efficient. It appears to me that they have a 50/50 balance of inpatient/outpatient rotations. Rancho is still in financial trouble so I don't know how it will affect resident training.

I matched at Stanford for next year. In general, they take 1 DO a year. Almost all of the sub-Is I met at Valley were DOs besides a UCSF student. All of the students who did a rotation at Stanford were offered interviews, and were given the first interviews of the season. I am convinced that my performance on my rotation and my interviews allowed me to match. Stanford residents have home call for all 3 years, but I don't think it is as "cushy" as everyone thinks. I have the impression it will be more difficult to judge whether or not to see the patient when you are not in-house. I did notice that Stanford residents work very long hours (sometimes over 12 hour days) and have a very heavy patient load. The environment can also be very stressful because some of the patients have acute injuries (especially in the RTC where many patients are on vents). Stanford PM&R is the major "tertiary" center for rehab in Northern California, I remember many of our patients were life-flighted from UCSF and far away places like Modesto, Fresno, and even Sacto.

For me, Stanford had the right mix of academics, didactics, research, and clinical excellence I was looking for in a program. The attendings are very intelligent and well-published. The name is a big plus, most people don't know that Stanford isn't considered the top program in PM&R but Stanford training opens many doors. All of the residents who sought fellowships had multiple offers, but many go right into private practice because they get very attractive job offers in the Bay Area. I was born and raised in the Bay Area, and so Stanford was my top choice in terms of quality and location. A lot of folks put locational concerns first when applying to residency anyways, I know my rank list was based on location mainly.

The out-of-state programs I was really impressed with were Baylor-Houston, NYU, and Baylor-Dallas. Baylor-Houston and NYU are huge programs with impressive research credentials. People from these programs tend to go into academics. Baylor-Dallas seemed to me to be more resident-oriented and smaller (they only take 3 a year). The people I interviewed with were very warm and sincere.

Good luck with your applications. Be sure to send me an e-mail if you have more questions.

Just out of interests sake, what are some of the "cush" PMR programs in the Midwest and East. Just wondering.

NF